General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Sat 25-Jan-14 12:43:10
Print Post

BBC May have to Pay For Pensioners Free TV Licences

[link to this post]

The government is considering transferring to the BBC the cost of providing Free TV licences for the over 75's. Estimated to cost £600M a year.

Another consideration is to add this as a payment to their pension making it taxable which would reduce the cost by about a £120M
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 25-Jan-14 12:57:17
Print Post

Re: BBC May have to Pay For Pensioners Free TV Licences

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

24 hour break to show how tired I am of having to go and find your sources, i.e. to check you are not making this stuff up.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TMCR
(member) Sat 25-Jan-14 13:07:10
Print Post

Where else but...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2545648/BBC-...

Seems to be a repeat of a story they ran back in October 2010
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1321681/BBC-...

- must be short of stuff to print at the Fail. The story suggests that doing so would add £20 a year to the license cost for everyone else blush

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User KelvinBridge
(learned) Sat 25-Jan-14 13:58:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
The government is considering transferring to the BBC the cost of providing Free TV licences for the over 75's. Estimated to cost £600M a year.

Another consideration is to add this as a payment to their pension making it taxable which would reduce the cost by about a £120M

I hardly see that adding £145.50 to someones pension would push them into paying tax on their total yearly income unless Bob is one of the richer DailyMuck readers .
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sat 25-Jan-14 14:04:24
Print Post

Quite happy to pay, government just need to amend rules. Not 75 yet.
Unlike some, if I watch it live or on demand, I pay. After all there is a cost to produce.
Pensioners probably make more use of live TV than others.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 25-Jan-14 14:41:27
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by KelvinBridge:
I hardly see that adding £145.50 to someones pension would push them into paying tax on their total yearly income
You wrongly assume that all pensioners are poor and within the Tax-free Personal Allowance.

The OP said 'taxable', i.e. capable of being taxed. not 'taxed'. It was just about the costs of the various options.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-Jan-14 09:28:04
Print Post

--edit--

ok so pensioners already get free tv licenses but the cost is been transferred from the DWP to the bbc.

In my opinion really they should be paying it themselves (as long as the tv licence exists) as the working age poor have to pay it.

Its funny that this government claims the state does too much hand holding yet they are telling councils and now organisations that they are not allowed to charge or raise fees for a section of the population.

Edited by Chrysalis (Sun 26-Jan-14 09:38:45)

Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 26-Jan-14 12:30:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
--edit--

ok so pensioners already get free tv licenses but the cost is been transferred from the DWP to the bbc.

In my opinion really they should be paying it themselves (as long as the tv licence exists) as the working age poor have to pay it.

Its funny that this government claims the state does too much hand holding yet they are telling councils and now organisations that they are not allowed to charge or raise fees for a section of the population.

Agreed there should be no handholding,as long as councils and organisations
use the money raised for infrastructure. Rather than their over sized £200K salaries citing that is what they would get in Private Industry
There are such government initiatives such as Working Tax Credit.
Many Pensioners have seen there savings dwindle due to interest rates fall from 5 to virtually zero per cent and cannot get top up for being thrifty.
Standard User KelvinBridge
(learned) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:32:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by KelvinBridge:
I hardly see that adding £145.50 to someones pension would push them into paying tax on their total yearly income
You wrongly assume that all pensioners are poor and within the Tax-free Personal Allowance.

The OP said 'taxable', i.e. capable of being taxed. not 'taxed'. It was just about the costs of the various options.

He actually said ''as a payment to their pension making it taxable[[/b]/b] ie making it taxable, not capable of being taxed which would suggest that £145. pushed someone over the HMRC tax bands for over the 65's or over 75's , and even extra £29 income tax outlay for the TV licence would still be fantastic value, assuming ones income was over £10,500 and taxed .
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jan-14 15:47:57
Print Post

[re: KelvinBridge] [link to this post]

OP never said anything like that, but then we don't know where your quote ends, nor the bold. nor the repetition.

Whole post is nonsense!.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to