General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 25-Jan-14 23:45:59
Print Post

BBC iPlayer downloads

[link to this post]

I just decided to download a few episodes of the new series of The Bridge. Using the iPlayer downloader that it seems to insist on me using, the darn thing self-caps to about 1.3 or 1.4MBps. (8-9Mbps). So I tried starting another two episodes and all it does is spread it among the three. Wired to the router.

I'm on an FTTC 59Mbps connection and ran a speedtest in the middle of it to make sure it wasn't my ISP. 54MBps! Linky.

I'm not happy!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-Jan-14 09:26:54
Print Post

Re: BBC iPlayer downloads

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

the iplayer has gone downhill a lot I think due to budget cuts.

Standard User Davey_H
(newbie) Sun 26-Jan-14 09:34:04
Print Post

Try get_iPlayer > https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer

Much better than the iPlayer downloader if your comfortable with CLI

Edited by Davey_H (Sun 26-Jan-14 09:36:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 26-Jan-14 12:05:32
Print Post

With a limited pipe. Would you not expect a limited individual download speed. To enable multiple use.
As a software company, we have to use multiple sites and restrict individual speeds at software update time. Better to be able to download than not be able to connect.
1.3MBps a speed 1000's of people can only dream of getting let alone download at.

Edited by flippery (Sun 26-Jan-14 12:13:46)

Standard User brandscill
(member) Sun 26-Jan-14 13:19:28
Print Post

I have it almost maxing out my internet connection at the moment. 6.7MBps (53Mbps roughly)

I downloaded a documentary on Russia 2 nights ago at peak time and that also came down nice and speedy. This is VM so could be a plusnet fault?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Jan-14 13:29:45
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I managed to max out my ADSL connection on an iPlayer download at 1.9 MB/sec. Obviously without fibre I can't do a more comparative test.

Oliver.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-Jan-14 13:30:52
Print Post

could be but I wont be testing as the bbc make it not easy to download, using an app instead of direct links.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 13:42:13
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Re a limited pipe, I did consider that for several minutes before posting. Whilst it is almost certainly the case I'm not sure rate capping an individual IP connection is the result of straight thinking.

What worries me is that they may be doing it in a noddy fashion, with a connection limit of perhaps 12Mbps at all times, rather than a demand-based variable cap. A demand-based one I couldn't really argue against except to feel they should increase the pipe capacity.

By capping to that degree they hugely prolong the time for the download. As they no doubt have multiple downloaders beginning and ending their downloads at any given time, this results in a vastly increased number of people actually downloading over a period. They therefore considerably inflate the capacity requested at any given time.

If they were able to allow fast downloaders to complete quickly, their requirement is removed from the system. So at any given time there would be fewer downloaders and the bandwidth available for each would be higher.

I don't do gaming, but gather many game updates are huge. They don't limit to 1.3MBps. I do get Microsoft updates, at high speed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 26-Jan-14 14:00:33
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Ok I testing now.

Started off maxing out at approx 36mbit, but then moved down as if a rate limiter switched to about 29mbit/sec.
Then downloaded a different show and is at 40mbit.

Theories are either, rate limiting or limited send buffer bbc side which requires very low latency to max out.

I tried to get the sender server ip to do some diagnosis from netstat but is just showing ipv4 loopback and I couldnt get from my router either.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 14:01:22
Print Post

I'll be downloading later episodes once I've watched the first four. I'll report back smile.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to