General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MrDoom
(committed) Sun 26-Jan-14 16:18:50
Print Post

Hartington Exchange - Any chance of an upgrade?

[link to this post]

Hey, I'm really asking this for my Dad who lives in the middle of nowhere.

He's connected to the Hartington exchange and is around 3km from the exchange (eep!).

He currently gets around 2Mbps and the exchange hasn't been upgraded since 2006!

Does anyone know what the deal is with these rural exchanges? I've tried searching but can't find any sort of upgrade information for it.

Thanks.

ZeN Pro
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 26-Jan-14 17:24:12
Print Post

Re: Hartington Exchange - Any chance of an upgrade?

[re: MrDoom] [link to this post]

Four km's from exchange and get 8 Mbps here on ADSL2+, so you need to double check the router stats. Drops to around 6.5 Mbps with ADSL mode, i.e. what you have.

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc will do the sums for you and can see if you are in expected range or not.

Improvements will be dependent on the BDUK project i.e.
http://www.digitalderbyshire.org.uk/

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5987-derbyshire-t...
95% target for people able to access a FTTC based service, so need to look at how far the property is from the green street cabinet and some range versus speeds for VDSL2 are given at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband....

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MrDoom
(committed) Sun 26-Jan-14 18:27:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, I'll check this out when I next visit (which will likely be a few weeks).

Hopefully I can find the line stats easy enough. I know he has an O2 Wireless Box II, which my memory says isn't too forthcoming with actual line data.

ZeN Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 26-Jan-14 18:36:56
Print Post

On the O2 box you have to log in as (or change user to) SuperUser with password either the Serial number on the router label or if old firmware it is O2Br0a64nd - note the capital O at the beginning and the numeric zero in the middle.

Both the username and password are case sensitive, and the login tends to fail the first time you try it.

You should then be able to find the basic stats easily, and IIRC at the top right of that page there is a Details button.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 26-Jan-14 18:38:12)

Standard User MrDoom
(committed) Fri 07-Feb-14 22:53:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I've checked out the router, and it seems I'd slightly underestimated the connection.

Here's the raw stats from the router:
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,036 / 8,224
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,680
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.5 / 42.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 6.0

The checker website reckons it should get 4Mbps to 6Mbps, however a speedtest reports 3.52Mbps down and 0.38Mbps up.

The exchange is not currently included in those that have been requested for an upgrade, but I'll get my Dad to register his interest.

Thanks for the help.

ZeN Pro
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Feb-14 14:43:32
Print Post

That's O2 Access, which always was extremely congested.

A migration to almost any decent ISP, not TalkTalk which could be worse, should give them consistent speeds of well over 5.5Mbps, and in some cases over 6Mbps.

My suggestion would of course be Plusnet. But that exchange is not a "low cost" area for them so ignore the banner prices on their website. See this post for the relevant prices.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 08-Feb-14 15:56:43)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Feb-14 15:36:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
particularly TalkTak which could be worse
Why even mention TT? They are not LLU there and OP never suggested them, did he? And 'particularly' does not make sense in context; maybe you meant 'except' but even that does not make sense as TT is not 'decent' there.

Surely BT is the obvious mainstream destination for price & service?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 08-Feb-14 15:38:03)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Feb-14 15:59:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Correct, thanks. A badly worded post made worse by a typo. Fixed.

As for BT, why?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Feb-14 16:27:33
Print Post

BT for price mainly as they don't have 'out of area' surcharges and will provide exactly same product as others.

Agree PN, for better support, if OP is prepared to pay their surcharge.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 08-Feb-14 16:28:36)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 08-Feb-14 16:32:54
Print Post

Sorry to keep harping on it, but surely better as:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
A migration to almost any decent non-LLU ISP , not TalkTalk which could be worse

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to