General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bilbonvidia
(learned) Wed 29-Jan-14 17:52:24
Print Post

Broadband Line Test

[link to this post]

I was wondering how these line tests actually work? The type you put in your number and it works away for a while and then comes back with a range of what bandwidth you should be able to get? Are they generally accurate?

When I run mine, I am currently in ADSL how can it give me a figure for both adsl and vdsl if moving to VDSL involves being hooked up to a different cabinet?
Does it perform two separate tests, one between me and the exhange (my current connection) and another between the fibre cab and me?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 29-Jan-14 18:06:46
Print Post

Re: Broadband Line Test

[re: bilbonvidia] [link to this post]

They are all based on one line length database, so any variations is down to how they interpret and present the data to you.

So they are NOT a test of the actual speed now, but just a lookup in a big table of what they think you should be able to get.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jan-14 19:34:24
Print Post

Re: Broadband Line ESTIMATORS

[re: bilbonvidia] [link to this post]

That's what they are, not tests! They usually call themselves 'Availability Checkers' and, whichever ISP you are consulting, they end up looking up BT Wholesale Broadband Availability Checker

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jan-14 19:59:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Mine isnt very accurate, estimate 9.5mb, actual 17.1mb so take it with a pinch of salt.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 29-Jan-14 20:07:23
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Same here! Estimate 13 Meg, Actual 20 Meg.

And as for my parallel non-BB 2nd line which once hosted O2 LLU at 15-16 Meg, the estimate is 7 Meg. Well, I ask you, it's less than useless!

EDIT: Guess that's cuz BT have no data on it! Indeed it makes me doubt MrSaffron's assertion that they even have line length data on it, seeing as it is same length as my BB line.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 29-Jan-14 20:13:18)

Standard User bilbonvidia
(learned) Thu 30-Jan-14 15:04:59
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

What would make the ringer give out a very quick chirp when performing the test>?
  Print Thread

Jump to