General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Fri 31-Jan-14 10:26:57
Print Post

Speed Test

[link to this post]

My speed test result is here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...
It always produces a near perfect flat line. A similar test at a friend's home shows a very erratic line with more ups and downs than found in the Alps. Does this suggest that there is something not quite right there? Obviously both tests were made hardwired in and no other activity in progress.

Returning to my own result, why is it on the 80/20 service the down speed is about what it should be based on my distance from the cab, but I would have thought that the up speed should be higher than that shown; any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 31-Jan-14 10:48:42
Print Post

Re: Speed Test

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

UP speed.

It happens! I had exactly that issue and it took several Technician visits to resolve it - three or four averaging 4 hours with second and third line support on the phone. It just suddenly changed from 9.xx to 16.xx we had been seeing the slow upstream and then suddenly it changed. No one could explain it - but possibly a database update resolved it.

The BT Techs used a secure login to a BT system and that was showing 18Mbps and it was testing as such, went back to mine and just 8 or 9 ... so the line was capable. Tried both Huawei and ECI modems, older 2wire 2700/2701 and BusHub3 routers, the support side kept reloading profiles and updating.

A little more work with the modems and we then pulled it up to 56/18

Some results:

xxx/9.52 at 12:56

xxx/9.53 at 13:22

xxx/16.91 at 17:34

and then up to 18.46

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Jan-14 12:09:01
Print Post

Got a link to the wobbly test...

It can be done to various things, if the tbbx1 is more wobbly than the httpx6 then probably a contention issue somewhere

On your upload looks likely that the port profile bug of locked at 10 Mbps has hit you. As suggested this can be fixed with some pestering.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-Jan-14 12:13:39
Print Post

Looks like we are similar distances from the cab. The engineer's tester showed 0.6km, and I had "walked" it and estimated similar.

Linky1.
Linky2.

Connection/sync speeds in my sig. The first link was probably on interleaved and lower sync's.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 31-Jan-14 12:19:20)

Standard User xxscoobster
(newbie) Sat 01-Feb-14 22:04:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi

Could someone tell me if i have a problem or not am almost sure this is only since getting a new pc with windows 8 had win 7 before, i had straight lines and results where all in the high 60`s now low speeds and all over the place.

Thank you.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13912...
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Feb-14 22:27:21
Print Post

[re: xxscoobster] [link to this post]

Is the PC connected by Ethernet or Wireless? You can't get reliable speeds with wireless.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
(newbie) Sun 02-Feb-14 08:15:45
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

hi

Its always connected by Ethernet, and as you can see from link below no different this morning doesnt matter what time of day get similar results

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13913...

Edited by xxscoobster (Sun 02-Feb-14 08:21:43)

Standard User shinerweb
(newbie) Sun 02-Feb-14 10:10:12
Print Post

[re: xxscoobster] [link to this post]

Anyone else using the connection at the time ?
YouView box or SmartTV for example?

(newbie) Sun 02-Feb-14 10:14:47
Print Post

[re: shinerweb] [link to this post]

hi,

i only have apart from pc (wired) , laptop and xbox both i use wireless and both are disconnected when running any test.
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 08:35:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

hi,

Even worse this morning but it is straight at least well one of them lol

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13914...
  Print Thread

Jump to