General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Feb-14 22:30:48
Print Post

Questions about Congestion and ISPs.

[link to this post]

Hi,

Recently we moved ISP (had to leave Be frown) and in doing do we decided to upgrade to fibre and moved. For the first week or two all was well, speeds solid good latency, etc but then we started to notice issues between 7pm and midnight, long story short running the TBQM graphs and ones from f8lure and such and theres a definite congestion issue going on (weve troubleshooted EVERYTHING our end we're clear).

We finally after a struggle logged a call with our ISP and they confirmed congestion, give us a date of mid/late Jan and said it'd be fixed on that date. The date had been and gone yet the issues only get worse and worse, we where told by one it had been fixed, turns out just recently it hasn't and given a new estimate of some time in Feb. Issue is is the way things are going our connection is literally unusable between 7 to midnight now, youtube pauses up and just dies, gaming is impossible, browsing is becoming troublesome, etc. To give a timescale we joined towards mid/end of Nov, got to Dec had issues, issues still on going to this point now only worsening as days go by, higher latency, higher packetloss, etc.

Ultimately my question(s) are: how long is an acceptable timescale for congestion to fixed? from looking around the thought of a congestion "fix" seems to be a pipedream that it never really gets fixed just threads of people waiting and waiting. Should we look at alternatives? are alternatives even an option? are we just being too impatient?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 02-Feb-14 22:33:34
Print Post

Re: Questions about Congestion and ISPs.

[re: FireFalcon] [link to this post]

Which ISP, which exchange?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Feb-14 22:33:42
Print Post

Which ISP?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FireFalcon
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Feb-14 22:46:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sky, we got an offer that seemed pretty decent considering our tv is already with them.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Feb-14 22:53:38
Print Post

That's good.

Sky are amongst the best on FTTC. They may be having problems with wherever your capacity shortage is, but you can be 99% sure it will be fixed.

A pig for this to happen, but it should be good for the long term.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to