General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sdb14
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 00:37:55
Print Post

Latency Problems

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm on Virgin National and I'm having issues with high latency. My download speed is 2 Mbps and my upload speed is 0.5 Mbps and when I run a test at Speedtest.net and ping google.co.uk my ping shoots up from around 28 ms to 400-1000 ms.

I have a Xbox One and I pretty much can't play anything on it because everything lags presumably because the ping shoots up as soon as data is downloaded/uploaded.

I'm in absolute despair and don't know what to do. Lag was minimal when I played on my Xbox 360 whilst with Sky at the time.

Can anyone help?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Feb-14 01:06:49
Print Post

Re: Latency Problems

[re: sdb14] [link to this post]

Ummm frown.

Did you change from Sky because you moved house? What Sky product were you on - LLU or Sky Connect?

Virgin National has a very poor reputation I'm afraid. Apparently they don't even offer it any more.

Which exchange are you on please? (The link to what this checker says would be ideal smile).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sdb14
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 01:17:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I know frown

No, I changed because the speed was extremely poor - 0.6 Mbps. I assume I was on Sky LLU considering my speed?

I then discovered that the reason for the poor speed was actually because I had a bog standard faceplate for my master socket so I fitted a NTE5 ADSL filtered faceplate and removed the ring (bell) wire which immediately doubled my download speed.

I've read a few threads which said that but at the time I assumed that the National service would be decent as I've used their fibre services before and never had any problems.

This is my exchange:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMGRHAM

Edited by sdb14 (Mon 03-Feb-14 01:22:31)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Feb-14 01:48:37
Print Post

Sky LLU should have been good there, unless you are a very long way from the exchange.

Anyway, are you tied in to Virgin for a while, or is it monthly?

Please can you run the BT Performance Test and when it comes up with the results click the Further Diagnostics at the bottom. Then copy and paste the contents of the downstream and upstream text boxes of results smile.

In the morning will do. Sleep time for me now.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User brandscill
(member) Mon 03-Feb-14 07:28:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If it is the case you're tied into a contract with Virgin I would start a thread here http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-y... as well and get the support ball rolling on their end. smile

If you post a link back here when you do I'll keep an eye on it. My dad was moved to their national network when he moved home (was on their fibre network) and had bad service at first but they got it sorted for him.
Standard User sdb14
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 10:14:11
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

I'll have to check whether I'm in a contract with Virgin but I have a feeling that I am. I'll ring them tonight when I get home from work and check.

The exchange is in the town centre and I live in a housing estate near the edge of town so there is a bit of distance.

I'll run the BT Performance Test tonight and paste the results for you Roberto.

I've rang Virgin a couple of times about my issue and they've been no help whatsoever.

I've actually already posted a thread on their forums but I've had no replies as of yet:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Xbox-One-...

Maybe I should post in the forum for 'Broadband down your phone line' instead?

Edited by sdb14 (Mon 03-Feb-14 10:21:12)

Standard User brandscill
(member) Mon 03-Feb-14 10:28:19
Print Post

I would post in the down your phone line one as this should get some more attention.

They respond to threads based on those with the oldest reply (so once posted avoid bumping it)

The guys on the forum are generally a lot more helpful than those on the phone, I'd highlight the issues you've had with the call centre staff as well.
Standard User sdb14
(newbie) Mon 03-Feb-14 10:35:41
Print Post

[re: brandscill] [link to this post]

Thanks brand.

I'll post tonight and paste the link on here so you can keep an eye on it.
Standard User brandscill
(member) Mon 03-Feb-14 11:30:31
Print Post

Sure smile
Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Mon 03-Feb-14 18:41:53
Print Post

Are you downloading and/or uploading when you see the issue - what happens when you don't? Have you changed your router form the one you used with Sky? Can you ping the game server instead of bbc?

Higher ping times especially on upload (is it 400-1000ms throughout download and upload phases?) are nothing abnormal without traffic policies engaged locally or remotely.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to