General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Shempz
(learned) Wed 05-Feb-14 21:36:45
Print Post

Low IP Profile...Quiet Line test results

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Recently I had a problem where my IP Profile dropped to 0.1mb (I normally just about get 2.5mb). I switched out the modem, filters...etc, to no avail. I then ran a Quiet Line Test on the phone (17070, option 2), and it was a bit crackly, so I thought there may be a fault. Openreach came out on Saturday, found a fault up the road from me, and "fixed" it. However, my broadband was still rubbish (IP Profile still 0.1mb), so I've called them out again for tomorrow. Tonight funnily enough, my broadband speed has gone up to between 0.7mb - 1.5mb (fluctuating), and the line is still very crackly.

I recorded the sound coming from a Quiet Line Test this evening, and saved it here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73778785/Voice%2...

Do you think this warrants me getting Openreach out...as I don't want to be liable for a £130 charge if they deem nothing is wrong!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 05-Feb-14 21:41:40
Print Post

Re: Low IP Profile...Quiet Line test results

[re: Shempz] [link to this post]

Yeah, it should be quiet.
Have you tried this? https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faul...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Shempz
(learned) Wed 05-Feb-14 21:44:13
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yeah did all that, and BT couldn't find a fault originally. Tried it again, and BT still insist they can find no fault on the line - even though the Openreach engineer on Saturday said he found a fault a 100 yards up the road from me that was only affecting my line!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Feb-14 22:04:51
Print Post

[re: Shempz] [link to this post]

Are you doing that Quiet Line Test with a corded phone into the test socket, inside the master after carefully removing the faceplate?

Given that amount of noise, you really need to do that. If it still makes the noise, record it, and get an engineer out. If it is silent that way, it could be something your side of there and chargeable for the callout.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 05-Feb-14 22:39:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Do cordless phones add abit of noise onto the line?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Feb-14 22:48:04
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

The sound quality through a cordless phone is pants in comparison to a corded one.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Feb-14 08:12:03
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobble_bob:
Do cordless phones add abit of noise onto the line?
They don't normally add crackling but there is often a hiss or hum and the audio quality in general is not as good.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
  Print Thread

Jump to