General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GrannySmith123
(newbie) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:22:53
Print Post

How can I lower my ping?

[link to this post]

Anybody know how I can lower my ping? Just upgraded my comcast internet tier to 50mbps and got a new wireless gateway. While on ethernet, I get 21ms ping. That is pretty good but I'm just curious how my ping went up when I upgraded my equipment. I used to get like a 10 ping.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3288012295

Current wireless gateway I have is TG852G. It is DOCSIS 3.0 while my old modem was only DOCSIS 2.0.

Any suggestions or tips would be great. Thanks guys!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:27:22
Print Post

Re: How can I lower my ping?

[re: GrannySmith123] [link to this post]

Can I just check, are you in the USA?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 22:28:10
Print Post

The switch from docsis 2.0 to docsis 3.0 network was likely to be the cause, i.e. how Comcast has configured their network.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 06-Feb-14 23:49:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So is there anything I can do to lower that ping? Maybe by 5-10ms? I know 21ms is still an extremely good ping but I'm just curious if there is anything I could do to lower this to the minimum.

I see people out there with like a 1 ping. How the heck is that possible?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 06-Feb-14 23:53:18
Print Post

A trace route will show where the time is being lost.
Those with 1ms pings are probably using a FTTP (full fibre) connection and also live in the same city as the games server

Cable providers generally run their DOCSIS 1, 2 and 3 networks on different networks, even though its same coax cable coming into your home.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 07-Feb-14 01:54:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
A trace route will show where the time is being lost.
Those with 1ms pings are probably using a FTTP (full fibre) connection and also live in the same city as the games server

Cable providers generally run their DOCSIS 1, 2 and 3 networks on different networks, even though its same coax cable coming into your home.

I see, how do I find this out? What can I do to make up for the time lost?

It seems as in my ping range 15ms-25ms there is like nothing you can do to lower it further. Haven't been able to find anything on the internet. Downloaded all this stuff to "clean up" my computer like tune up utility from AVG but my ping remains the same.

Sometimes, my ping will spike up to 35ms when I speedtest. Why?

Edited by GrannySmith123 (Fri 07-Feb-14 02:02:51)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Feb-14 09:27:49
Print Post

Traceroute see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162326

Most likely nothing you can do other than change broadband providers, but as its Comcast they may be your only option in your area.

During a speedtest you are downloading or uploading a lot, which means ping packets may be slow. Also some speedtests mention latency, which means they are doing a different test to a standard PING.

Print Thread

Jump to