General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jb2014
(newbie) Fri 07-Feb-14 08:22:03
Print Post

RJ11 and Cat5 cable

[link to this post]

Hi, I am looking for advice on the two cable types on the subject line.

I have an RJ11 cable from my BT box to my router, From my router to my PC I have Cat5 cable, I would like to replace the Cat5 cable coming from the back of the router and going to my first floor room to the PC with a good shielded twisted pair cable.

I would like to know if the RJ11 cable has the same connection plug as the Cat5 cable and can the RJ11 cable be used to replace the Cat5 cable.

John.

Edit: 09:02 more information.

Edited by jb2014 (Fri 07-Feb-14 09:05:07)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 07-Feb-14 08:26:19
Print Post

Re: RJ11 and Cat5 cable

[re: jb2014] [link to this post]

The cable connecting phone to router is likely relatively low quality phone line. To get a decent network connection you need cat5. It may have print on the current cable to say exactly what it is.

Cat5 can be used as phone extension but phone extension is strongly advised against for network cabling. It may work but likelihood is if it did it would be slow and may have a lot of errors.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Feb-14 09:25:20
Print Post

RJ is a range of plugs of which RJ11 and RJ45 are two members

CAT5 is the description for a standard of cable.

For Ethernet you should at the very least use CAT5, preferably CAT5e. Ideally you would install sockets and infrastructure cabling between two rooms, and then use a short patch lead to connect router and PC at each end. But for temporary and home lashups lots of people just buy a long patch lead e.g. This 20m lead on amazon for £3.90

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Feb-14 11:56:23
Print Post

Is it daft to ask why? Cat5 is what is normally recommended to replace normal twisted pair, not the other way round.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
  Print Thread

Jump to