General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tomnoton
(newbie) Sun 09-Feb-14 01:02:23
Print Post

Ambergate exchange fibre

[link to this post]

Hi guys. Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but here goes.

We have had terribly slow broadband for as long as i can remember, done pretty much all we can our side of things (router wiring etc). We heard our exchange was getting fibre so we got our hopes up in finally getting some better internet.

Our exchange recently went into the 'accepting offers' stage and we tried our provider talktalk and we cant get it. Now from what i understand its probably our cabinet causing the issue? There has been openreach vans around our local csbinets for a while.

After some digging on the interent i found the bt wholesale checker and thats where i got lost.

Was hoping someone could tell me what our situation is and if we will ever get fibre broadband?

I posted what i found on wholesale checker below

Cheers Tom

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 1 Up to 0.5 1 to 3.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 28-Feb-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 28-Feb-2014.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Feb-14 01:19:44
Print Post

Re: Ambergate exchange fibre

[re: tomnoton] [link to this post]

Did you use the postcode option to get that, or the full address one? You must use the full address.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User tomnoton
(newbie) Sun 09-Feb-14 07:06:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi yes i entered my full address.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 09-Feb-14 11:23:17
Print Post

Did the checker list a cabinet number?

Have you looked at what county council is doing in the area?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Sun 09-Feb-14 12:45:49
Print Post

Cabinets at Ambergate has only just started going live. The exchange is listed as accepting orders when the first handful of cabinets go live, then all the other cabinets follow on.

Not sure where you live but they have done a pretty good job with the cabinet rollout around ambergate, even then really remote cabinet near LB Plastics at the top of Neather Heage has one.

Do you have a neighbour with a line from BT wholesale, if you put their umber in the BT checker will give you the cabinet number.

Do you know where your cabinet is? PM me your postcode if you like, im familiar with the area.

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User tomnoton
(newbie) Sun 09-Feb-14 16:44:28
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

Hi thanks for the replys guys.

Yes my cabinet is number 8. I believe its located next to the derwent hotel pub. There is also another box that has been put in just below my house when they buried the phone cables a few years ago. Not sure if thats a cabinet or just where they joined the cables?

Im not sure where to find details about what the council are doing in the area.

Thanks

Tom
Standard User tomnoton
(newbie) Mon 10-Feb-14 18:59:11
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi guys if it helps here is a photo of our cabinet?

Its definitely cabinet number 8.

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/2vailnk.jpg[/IMG]

http://i60.tinypic.com/2vailnk.jpg
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 10-Feb-14 19:27:27
Print Post

I suspect it will be part of the BDUK program but not likely to come into service until later this year.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 10-Feb-14 20:32:39
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Here is the map for the Derbyshire BDUK

http://www.digitalderbyshire.org.uk/images/Digital-D...

Not the best map but it seems your house will be in the area marked as 2015?

ASUS RT-AC66U
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 10-Feb-14 20:38:53
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

If you find your cabinet is not enabled, or wont be for a while, then are you aware you can get wireless broadband at Whatstandwell?

http://www.w3z.co.uk/

I know a couple of people who use it and you get a rock solid 20 meg connection.

If you are a big downloader then prob not worth your while, but if your a 50 gig / month user its not bad value.

When looking at prices don't forget you don't need a phone line for the broadband, so that offsets costs.

ASUS RT-AC66U
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to