General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sun 09-Feb-14 11:11:31
Print Post

inSSIDer question

[link to this post]

inSSIDer is showing my network as being on Channel 11+7. Looking at the graph display, the range is showing from Ch 5 to 13. I have a Billion Bipac 7800DXL. Does this suggest it's transmitting wifi on one channel and receiving on the other?

If this is correct is there any benefit? I'm using the 2.4Ghz band. This would appear to be the default setting. I've recently reset to default settings and just noticed this.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 09-Feb-14 12:50:09
Print Post

Re: inSSIDer question

[re: wingco1] [link to this post]

No, it doesn't use them uni-directionally. Just double the bandwidth in the true sense of the word.

Unusual in the UK for it to be defaulting to 40MHz, which gives/requires dual channel. I used to use it.

It often gives you a higher wireless connection speed to the router from your kit, depending on the quality of the wifi card in that kit, but is regarded as neighbour-unfriendly as you interfere with many more channels. It doesn't necessarily give you any higher throughput though.

20MHz will give you a single channel.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 09-Feb-14 12:51:43)

Standard User wingco1
(legend) Sun 09-Feb-14 18:39:10
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Bob. I'll change it and see what happens.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Feb-14 19:35:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This seems to be the norm on Talk Talk routers as we was using inssider at my mates place, the one with a plusnet router and I noticed that two routers was using two different channels each and that they was both Talk Talk.

Maybe this is why my mate been having so many problems with the Wi-fi on his Plusnet router.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 09-Feb-14 23:51:34
Print Post

You are using Dual Channel (40MHz) mode. Channel 7 which spreads from 5 to 9 and 11 which spreads from 9 to 13 whcih is why it looks as though you are across half the spectrum from 5 to 13

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User wingco1
(legend) Mon 10-Feb-14 13:53:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

An interesting bonus. When using 40mhz my speedtests were bouncing around quite a bit, and the rsults were lower than usual. I put it down to the wet weather. Having changed to 20mhz my test are back to normal.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 10-Feb-14 18:17:43
Print Post

Which is what I said about throughput smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:34:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by wingco1:
An interesting bonus. When using 40mhz my speedtests were bouncing around quite a bit, and the rsults were lower than usual. I put it down to the wet weather. Having changed to 20mhz my test are back to normal.

It depends on the quality of the wireless access point and the wireless card/chipset on the device. iPad 2 and Mini, for example, don't tend to like 40Mhz unless they are in a very clean environment, the iPad 3+ plays much more nicely with 40Mhz though. Overall though, as long as the environment is not incredibly crowded the throughput on 40Mhz should be better than 20Mhz in most cases. This applies to both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands.... But, naturally, sometimes you do get exceptions to this and 20Mhz is better.

Zen 8000 Pro

Edited by Pipexer (Wed 12-Feb-14 20:35:15)

Standard User wingco1
(legend) Thu 13-Feb-14 14:33:55
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

I was looking at changing my Intel 2.4GHz wireless card for something like This which would use both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands. I've opened my laptop and the wireless card is about 1 inch square, would this be PCI,mini card or half mini card?
  Print Thread

Jump to