General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CrippsCorner
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 13:37:28
Print Post

Question regarding EE's Bright Box 2 router...

[link to this post]

Hi there, I have registered here in the hope you can help me. My home network currently suffers from a conflict between 2.4GHz Wi-Fi & Bluetooth. After several tests I tried using an AirPort Express casting a 5GHz connection and all my troubles went away, brilliant! However I have to return the AirPort Express now and am looking to get hold of the Bright Box 2 router from EE.

I understand you get this router free with a fibre connection, however, I don't want that. I've been trying to contact EE about this... both their online chat system and their Twitter account tell me to contact the help desk. However, the help desk simply tell me, "You want the Bright Box 2? Okay we'll sign you up to fibre", to which I tell them that's not what I want, I just want the router, but they never know and say they will call me back. Still waiting.

So my basic question is do you know if I can order the Bright Box 2 from EE (somehow!) without signing up for fibre? I've been watching a few on eBay but I'd rather get one directly so all my information etc. is on there and it'll be just plug and play.

Thanks...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 13:45:35
Print Post

Re: Question regarding EE's Bright Box 2 router...

[re: CrippsCorner] [link to this post]

Why not just get a 5GHz capable wireless access point, should be able to find one in the £20 to £40 range

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 13:56:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi obviously this is a possibility, but my preference is to have a router directly from EE which is fully set up and has full support...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ianph
(committed) Wed 12-Feb-14 14:58:15
Print Post

5Ghz on the EE brightbox 2 isn't really that good to be honest without some manual setup

the auto wireless channel configuration is useless and regularly puts the router on a congested channel, watching iplayer via 5Ghz on a tesco hudl tablet sometimes stutters and buffers on the brightbox 2, using the original ECI modem and brightbox 1 on 2.4Ghz programs played flawlessly and no its not the connection as i can stream on my PC at same time with zero buffering wired or wireless

Edited by Ianph (Wed 12-Feb-14 15:02:13)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Feb-14 15:56:45
Print Post

EE only supplies the BrightBox 2 with their Fibre packages, see here: https://broadband.ee.co.uk/packages

They offered to send me a replacement BrightBox to try and fix a fault (nowt to do with router). I asked for BrightBox 2 but they refused and just sent me another BrightBox 1,

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 12-Feb-14 15:57:13)

(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 16:16:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I'm aware as a standard thing they only send out the Bright Box 2 with their fibre packages... but am basically wondering if I can get them outside of that, perhaps I need to speak to a manager.

If I used a third party dual band router, would this be supported if I had a problem with my connection? I guess I could always chuck my Bright Box 1 back on when I called... any recommendations? The AirPort Express works perfectly but I just hate having two boxes to use together, would prefer it all in one.

Thanks for the replies so far, seems like a good forum, very quick!
  Print Thread

Jump to