General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Albans
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:24:31
Print Post

Broadband Speed

[link to this post]

3 kms from Glenlivet Exchange with I understand ADSL speed up to 7Mbps. Achieving 5 to 6 Mbps weekdays until 4 pm when as though a switch has been thrown it falls to about 1.2 Mbps falling further during the evening to 0.2 Mbps. At 4 am goes back to 5 to 6 Mbps. At weekends 2 Mbps falling to as low as 0.2 Mbps by 10 p.m.. These characteristics are seen by other users irrespective of ISP. In particular TalkTalk and Supanet say fall in speed is down to BT while BT say it is an issue for ISP.
Can it be users taking up band width available to ISP when major change is as though a switch has been thrown, BT Traffic Shaping or other issue?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 20:47:42
Print Post

Re: Broadband Speed

[re: Albans] [link to this post]

Are those two isp on llu? If not then the answer is that they dont buy enough bandwidth for the service

What sort of speeds do Plusnet and EE customers manage?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Albans
(newbie) Wed 12-Feb-14 21:02:16
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On the Glenlivet Exchange there are no ISP's on llu.
Alllowing for distance to the exchange irrespective of ISP my enquiries lead me to believe all broadband users experience the same speed and characteristics as I do. This is certainly the case with my neighbour on supanet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 12-Feb-14 22:25:23
Print Post

Supanet buy capacity from talktalk i believe

On non llu exchanges general rule is avoid the big llu providers.

While line connection speed will be the same the user experience based on capacity they buy from bt wholesale can vary

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 22:51:09
Print Post

The PUG exchange status checker shows a green pass for 20CN VPs as of 3rd Jan 2014:-

. . . . . . . . http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Glenli...

plusnet user
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 12-Feb-14 22:54:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by Albans:
On the Glenlivet Exchange there are no ISP's on llu.
Alllowing for distance to the exchange irrespective of ISP my enquiries lead me to believe all broadband users experience the same speed and characteristics as I do. This is certainly the case with my neighbour on supanet.

So who is your ISP?

plusnet user
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Feb-14 00:08:42
Print Post

Is it congestion OR is it an increase in noise levels close to the cabinet or the cable? Or a combination of both?

Do you know where your cabinet is and how your cable gets to it? And what about from cabinet to exchange?

There is not much industry around there - Glenlivet Distilllery, The Salmon Hatchery on the road to Dufftown, the local school, and a few farms and a couple of old quarry workings. Could one of the cables go close to one of those and, for example, they switch on security lights at 4:00 PM?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Albans
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 11:10:21
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

There are no cabinets between my property and the exchange and only six houses. The distillery which works 7/24 is on another spur from the exchange. Hence I cannot see any source of interference.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Feb-14 11:33:40
Print Post

Where is the exchange? in the middle of the "village" or outside? I cannot recall seeing it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Feb-14 11:35:46
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/?utm_source=mainsite&...

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to