General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bravos
(newbie) Thu 13-Feb-14 10:20:19
Print Post

Monitoring continuity

[link to this post]

I recently changed from BT ADSL where I was getting 4mb download to Utility Warehouse where there was a noticeable drop to about 3mb. This change of ADSL was to keep things simple and get over the change of ISP.
Then upgraded to fibre with UW and the speedtester says I am getting 65mb down and 11mb up. All very nice.

However, I frequently notice long lag times when loading sites or clicking on page links which are unresponsive. I had thought this was due to a delay at the server while it responded to the page request.

However, I recently discovered streaming internet radio - and noticed that there are occasions when there are frequent interruptions, even when I pause it to allow some buffering.
My simple logic says that a broken stream of music = broken continuity.

Question:
1. Is the discontinuity in the streaming radio an indication that the broadband connection is similarly affected?
2. Is there a more scientific way of confirming this before complaining?
3. Is there some level of discontinuity which is considered acceptable?

I know that all that will happen if I complain will be that they will run a speed test and declare all is well. So I need something more.

Regards
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Feb-14 10:44:19
Print Post

Re: Monitoring continuity

[re: Bravos] [link to this post]

1. Broken streaming may be a sign of issues with the VDSL or it could be the ISP congestion, or it could be the radio station itself.
2. It is called ping and tracert, these let you monitor whether small packets are getting around successfully.
3. In terms of lost packets 0% is ideal, but I think most people get well under 0.1%, if you are seeing 2 or 3% then annoying gaps may be the issue.

Which speed test are you using? Ours at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html gives the throughput graphs which can reveal issues like congestion, stalls and other things. Alas not got into AI programming to automatically detect them.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bravos
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-14 12:30:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response.

I'm a long time user of the thinkbroadband speedtester but was unaware of the throughput graphs.
Where can I find them?

Am I right in thinking tracert is a CMD instruction?

Regards

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:00:41
Print Post

After the test there is a link to the test with the graphs and if logged in the tests are available under the myprofile section

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bravos
(newbie) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:43:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry to be slow but is there some part of the speedtest image that answers my question?
I'm not seeing anything else in my Profile.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html...

Regards
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:46:35
Print Post

Slow single thread suggests congestion and the drop in speed for httpx6 does not look good.

Both lines should rise within first second to a horizontal line.

Print Thread

Jump to