General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ruckwood
(newbie) Wed 19-Feb-14 17:04:05
Print Post

Master socket dilemma

[link to this post]

Hi all

Please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong forum, I did have a look at each one but wasn't sure which one was best! If this needs to moved, please go ahead!

Right, my issue: just moved in to a rented new build flat, and I've just noticed my master socket is in a hallway cupboard with no power socket.

As in my old place, I planned to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket and connect my wireless broadband router to this. But aside from running and extension cable through the wall from the adjoining cupboard or installing a new power socket, I cannot power the router in this position. (I am sceptical whether I could get permission from my landlord to do this, and also reluctant to bear any more expense if I can)

Therefore, I wondered what my options were, and I hoped some of you fine fellows may be able to advise, or have experienced similar problems. My questions...

1. Do you have to fit a filtered faceplate to the master socket or can you fit it on an extension socket?
2. Presuming I could get the router working in the cupboard, realistically should I expect any effect on my wireless speeds? (I could use powerline adapters for fixed position equipment e.g. PS3, but need wireless for laptops, printer, smartphones etc.) - i.e. if I would experience a significant drop, might I be just as well connecting my router to an extension socket and stop worrying?!

I am really keen to use the faceplate - troublesome micro filters and the boost in speed have made me a convert!

Any help or advice much appreciated!
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Feb-14 17:12:33
Print Post

Re: Master socket dilemma

[re: Ruckwood] [link to this post]

I would start by recording the router stats (attenuation/sync/snr) from both the TEST socket and a more convenient extension by a power point.

If you are lucky and have a decent line (quality/length) then you can get away with a lot more than if you have a poor line.

EDIT. A filtered faceplate really needs to be fitted to the Master Socket so as to separate the phone and ADSL at source. It is possible to re-wire things so an extension becomes a new Master.

By comparing your stats you can see if you have a problem or not...

Edited by b4dger (Wed 19-Feb-14 17:15:27)

Standard User rarrar
(member) Wed 19-Feb-14 17:50:02
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

My master socket is also in the meter cupboard and I run the unfiltered phone signal via cat5 to a filtered faceplate about 10m away under the stairs where the phone and ADSK get distributed as appropriate.
Very happy with results.
I cannot see that extending the filtering point a few meters along good cable is going to make much difference unless you have lots of interference - But I would do as b4dger suggests first.

However for me with FTTC possible this year I now wish I had pulled 2 cat5 cables through between the master socket and where I keep all the routers etc.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 19-Feb-14 18:34:23
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

Extending a few metres with reasonable quality cable (CAT3 or better) and putting a filter in place there is usually perfectly fine.

Just ensure you do not plug anything else into the master socket, and that there are no extensions running from its faceplate.

A filter box like this should be fine for ADSL2+ and in theory VDSL2 too.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk

Edited by MrSaffron (Wed 19-Feb-14 18:36:40)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Feb-14 18:35:19
Print Post

I'm assuming there are some existing extensions.

Check the wires on the back of the master faceplate. See this page. There is almost certainly a ring wire, and removing it is basically essential. It sounds as though you had a filtered faceplate at your previous place - most of those filter the ring wire, which is why you got a speed boost.

Once you've done that, at your extension where you want the router, install an extension filtered faceplate. (Make sure you get the right size).

Job done.
Edit - You may need one of these as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 19-Feb-14 18:40:07)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Feb-14 18:46:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I might have missed something there but is that correct?
What if the Master has live extensions? It's not just the ring wire...

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 19-Feb-14 18:51:34
Print Post

How many wires are there in the cable from Master to Extension?

If there are 6, you could use the unused pair to provide a non-flitered extension alongside a filtered voice extension.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Feb-14 21:01:51
Print Post

Assuming valid phone wiring it's quite normal to do as I suggest.

If it's burglar alarm cabling or split pairs used - you have a point smile. But then the existing wiring needs fixing or by-passing whatever solution is adopted.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 19-Feb-14 21:03:22)

Standard User Ruckwood
(newbie) Thu 20-Feb-14 01:01:15
Print Post

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I think, as b4dger suggests, I will test my connections at master and extension to see if I even have much of an issue first. Fingers crossed!

If it is the case that I am experiencing a loss of speed at the extension, however, I am a little confused as to which direction to take - would a filtered extension socket give me virtually the same setup as a filtered faceplate on my master (assuming removal of ring wire)?

Also, the Cat5/Cat3 extension options intrigue me - but I confess I have zero idea how to do this, how it works, or to be honest if I even understand (!). Do you mean effectively continuing the 'master line', as it were, using Cat5 to a defacto master socket? Sorry if I am am way off!!
Standard User vimto_girl
(member) Thu 20-Feb-14 01:51:51
Print Post

I would disconnect the ring wires from all sockets regardless. Then the idea is to effectively "filter out" as much extension wiring as possible with ADSL filter(s) - dangly, faceplate, they are the same really for this purpose. At the master socket, you can filter it all out. At an extension socket at the 'end of the line' you can't filter any extension wiring out. If a further extension is connected onwards from that socket, you can filter that out.

The easiest way and whether it's worth it will depend on your test stats, the wiring arrangement (detective work/diagram drawing) and whether you need phone and where (disconnecting wires is always possible).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to