General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 11:22:47
Print Post

Sudden increase in speed

[link to this post]

Out in the sticks, fibre not planned for a couple of years, no changes to the setup here, and nothing seen or noted locally. Downstream has been between 3 to 5Mbps for yonks.

Yesterday (Monday) afternoon my ADSL speed suddenly dropped to less than 0.5Mbps, and couldn't view on-line videos etc. First step was to switch off and restart the router. Ever since doing that the Downstream speed has been consistently up around 7.3Mbps (night & day) and Upload more than doubled to 730Kbps.

My ISP (Vispa) has said they've made no changes. Do I just assume that BT has done something in the local exchange to give me much greater bandwidth, and is this likely to apply to all local users? Just be nice to know as many residents usually ask me what's going on!
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Feb-14 11:53:55
Print Post

Re: Sudden increase in speed

[re: G0AOZ] [link to this post]

Sounds like the exchange may have been upgraded to 21CN and you have moved to ADSL2+?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Feb-14 12:15:26
Print Post

What are your router stats ?

My best bet, would be some underground joint local to you has been remade. Or maybe a new length has been pulled in and changed over ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 25-Feb-14 13:48:21
Print Post

As Zarjaz suggests, some cable rework might have occurred. During the process your line was disconnected/connected a few times and DLM kicked in. Then, once it had settled, DLM allowed it to get back to max possible speed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User kitcat
(committed) Tue 25-Feb-14 15:02:08
Print Post

If the upload has doubled you have been migrated to WBC from ADSL.

It is likely to apply to all the BT wholesale supplied customers inthe exchange over a period of time. Where BT has both WBC and ASDL they are trying to close the ADSL platform down, they gave notice at a lot of exchanges for this last year and must now be implemeting it.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 25-Feb-14 16:20:51
Print Post

What exchange is your line connected to?

plusnet user
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 21:14:23
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I think you're probably right about ADSL2+ as I see router stats show Trained_Modulation = ADSL_2plus. I'm sure it didn't say that before...

However, none of the sites showing exchange info (Sam Knows, Kitz, etc.) list ADSL2+ or 21CN as being activated. But I guess their info will always lag somewhat, particularly as this only happened yesterday.

Exchange is LONGWORTH, and router stats as follows:-

DS Rate 8495
US Rate 867
DS Margin 12
US Margin 12
DS Line Att 32
US Line Att 17
Trained_Modulation=ADSL_2plus

It's a relatively small exchange so my guess is that all users would now be on the higher bandwidth...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 25-Feb-14 21:53:17
Print Post

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

Shows what is possible for your line, the 12 dB target margin no the downstream is costing a fair chunk of speed. It may be that high if the DLM saw errors on the line eg.

Using modem on an extension
Still having ring wire connected on the extension wiring
Or other wiring issues probably in the home

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User G0AOZ
(member) Wed 26-Feb-14 09:32:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew. No extension cables on this line, router is connected direct (via filter) to the NTE5 socket using a 1 metre cable. Have tried disconnecting the one telephone receiver, replacing cable, router and filter - makes no noticable difference. It's probably the torturous path to the exchange, not helped by a length of aluminium cable out in the road!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 26-Feb-14 09:35:43
Print Post

Length is taken into account by that calculator, it is the attenuation.

Aluminium though can be an issue, but usually is also reflected by a poor attenuation value.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to