General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 26-Feb-14 22:27:47
Print Post

'Contagious' wi-fi virus created by Liverpool researchers

[link to this post]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26352439

Computers will be fine but cars within range of wi-fi device will have their wheels removed and replaced with bricks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Feb-14 02:05:05
Print Post

Re: 'Contagious' wi-fi virus created by Liverpool researcher

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Saw that article earlier.

I couldn't work out if it is referring to WAPs within routers, in which case surely they have the router, or more likely just stand-alone WAPs attached to routers.

If the latter, then I can see it would be a good idea to alter the password from any default value, but after that how real a threat in the real world is it I wonder?

Though maybe they are worrying more about (multi-)business complexes. Occupants there should have their security sorted.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 27-Feb-14 02:52:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well I have wi-fi disabled on my systems, both on the router and on the PCs. No use for it 99.9% of the time, and I enable it temporarily for the other 0.1% (Kindle sync for the gf's e-reader). I could do it over USB if I had to.

The passwords on everything are not default either, so unless there's some WAP-specific password, outwith the wi-fi WPA security, it should be fine. Not sure if a hidden SSID would be much protection though.

The article states that "this was unlikely to be a threat to big business wi-fi networks, which should have enhanced security in place."

I imagine that means that they have changed default passwords, enable encryption and all that.

The BBC could really do people a favour and include links to random password generators and info sites. Simple things like WPA over WEP and WPA2 over WPA. It might encourage folk to actually get round to changing their passwords/SSID to something random (and greater than six characters...roll eyes!).

For what it's worth, apparently a long, easy to remember phrase of 20+ characters is harder to crack than a jumble of characters less than 20 characters. Just as long as it's not:

"You cannot guess my p......." Guess? smile

The substitution of '1' for 'i' and '0' for 'o' is probably of minimal value too, unless it's a long pw. Crackers probably do it as standard.

http://passwordsgenerator.net/

Test it: https://howsecureismypassword.net/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Feb-14 08:30:19
Print Post

Surely they can't log in to the admin interface until after they have connected to the wireless (as this is a wireless borne attack it is not suggesting they have a direct wired connection to do it). Therefore if the wireless security is strong then that would stop it (routers don't have enough grunt to do brute force attacks of WPA).

So, first you have to crack the wireless. Then you try the default admin password for the interface. If it works then you hope it is a router you can firmware update and that you have firmware written for that device (given the number of different makes/models then likelihood is potentially low).

There are a lot of factors here and even in a quite built up area it would be a struggle to compromise very many devices.
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Thu 27-Feb-14 09:52:37
Print Post

I think we need to do this.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5287/5382823408_69dbe7...

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam Videos
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 27-Feb-14 10:11:31
Print Post

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

Will a ribbed one degrade the signal?
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Feb-14 10:18:46
Print Post

Not sure that is adequate protection against an airborne virus as there appear to be many other openings in the device it could get into.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Thu 27-Feb-14 10:22:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

That's disgusting!
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 27-Feb-14 10:33:30
Print Post

And there I was being very careful how I worded it to ensure it wasn't.
  Print Thread

Jump to