Well I have wi-fi disabled on my systems, both on the router and on the PCs. No use for it 99.9% of the time, and I enable it temporarily for the other 0.1% (Kindle sync for the gf's e-reader). I could do it over USB if I had to.
The passwords on everything are not default either, so unless there's some WAP-specific password, outwith the wi-fi WPA security, it should be fine. Not sure if a hidden SSID would be much protection though.
The article states that "this was unlikely to be a threat to big business wi-fi networks, which should have enhanced security in place."
I imagine that means that they have changed default passwords, enable encryption and all that.
The BBC could really do people a favour and include links to random password generators and info sites. Simple things like WPA over WEP and WPA2 over WPA. It might encourage folk to actually get round to changing their passwords/SSID to something random (and greater than six characters...roll eyes!).
For what it's worth, apparently a long, easy to remember phrase of 20+ characters is harder to crack than a jumble of characters less than 20 characters. Just as long as it's not:
"You cannot guess my p......." Guess?
The substitution of '1' for 'i' and '0' for 'o' is probably of minimal value too, unless it's a long pw. Crackers probably do it as standard.
Test it: https://howsecureismypassword.net/