General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User wmiked
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 15:11:39
Print Post

Broadband usage suddenly reaching monthly limit

[link to this post]

Hi,

I have started receiving emails from my ISP (BT) that I am approaching my monthly limit. I switched to BT in the latter half of 2013 and it was a pleasurable experience. From January 2014 these warning emails started appearing.

The BT usage monitor on the 'My BT' webpage gives no detail so it is useless to assist in finding out where the increased usage is coming from.

Does anyone know of a monitor which would give me an informative breakdown to enable me to work out what usage is causing the increase?

Thanks,

Mike
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Mar-14 16:58:54
Print Post

Re: Broadband usage suddenly reaching monthly limit

[re: wmiked] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

If using Windows 7 or older can give usage info for the PC it is installed on and identify sites/programs that are using all the data.

If on a 10GB usage limit, then remember that video streaming can very quickly eat into this

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wmiked
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 19:21:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have no archival info from TBB Meter to allow me to compare.

The only films I stream, if they qualify as such, are occasional clips from U Tube. My main net activities are online ordering, software updates, email and a bit of surfing and I have a 40Mb limit. It used to be enough so either my usage pattern has changed (and I can't think what that could be) or there is 'enemy action' of some sort. Hence the need for analysis.

I have Win7 on the machines.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Mar-14 19:42:08
Print Post

[re: wmiked] [link to this post]

In terms of spotting the culprit software, then its the actual live data from recording a TCP log, or the Sites Visited page that will be of most use.

YouTube may be eating more data if the higher quality clips are being picked e.g.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/factsheet/q4-20...

Shows difference between old LQ youtube, standard and HD. Also sometimes if using flash for streaming it has been known for you to leave a page, but the data to be still streaming. Have seen this on both a PC and a Mac

Add to this the software updates that are becoming more and more numerous I can imagine a home with several PC's using a couple of GB a month on that.

Others have had issues with the BT system recording usage even when everything was turned off, so their system is not 100% foolproof

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to