General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 04-Mar-14 12:48:15
Print Post

FTTC cab with ADSL2+ service?

[link to this post]

Just curious. My exchange is earmarked for FTTC in May, and the shiny new cab has just been popped in place.

Would I be right in assuming my ADSL2+ service speeds will improve with FTTC? Currently getting 11 Meg and to be honest I would settle for 15-24 Meg, without having to change contract.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:08:40
Print Post

Re: FTTC cab with ADSL2+ service?

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by camieabz:
Just curious. My exchange is earmarked for FTTC in May, and the shiny new cab has just been popped in place.

Would I be right in assuming my ADSL2+ service speeds will improve with FTTC? Currently getting 11 Meg and to be honest I would settle for 15-24 Meg, without having to change contract.

What are you saying? Are you planning to move to FTTC or remain on an ADSL2+ service?

If the latter then you might see a slight change in speeds - it could be up if cross talk reduces as other users migrate, but there will be some cross talk from the VDSL service which may cause you to drop speeds. So, work on the premise that nothing will change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:13:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I just assumed that on ADSL2+ the speeds would improve anyway if via a fibre enabled cab.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:16:39
Print Post

The cab changes have no direct impact on ADSL2+ - your line continues to follow exactly the same route as it always has, the cab only comes into operation if you move to FTTC.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:20:51
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Fairy nuff. smile

I imagined that the FTTC service was on different frequencies, but the ADSL2+ signal would be boosted / repeated due to the cab.

Not fussed for paying extra, as I don't really need much more than what I'm getting. I could use the extra upload from time to time, but it's no big deal. 20 Meg / 5 Meg would be great. I'm guessing I will probably get 35 Meg / 15 Meg or so. Just not fussed about 12/18 month contacts, nor the added prices.

Edited by camieabz (Tue 04-Mar-14 13:21:29)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:27:38
Print Post

The FTTC cab is like a spur off the main cab. FTTC connections will route via the spur but ADSL continues to follow exactly the same route as it did. There is no ADSL provision from the FTTC cab.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:29:00
Print Post

ADSL2+ uses 25kHz to 138kHz for upstream and then upto 2208 kHz (2.208 MHz) for downstream.

VDSL2 starts at 25kHz and goes through to 17MHz. The upstream isin distinct blocks within the overall band ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:35:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by camieabz:
I imagined that the FTTC service was on different frequencies, but the ADSL2+ signal would be boosted / repeated due to the cab.
Nope. The two are independent. You could blow the FTTC cab up and it would have no impact on ADSL connections (unless you used so much explosive that the original cab was caught in the blast). FTTC connections are made by patching your telephone line over to the cab and back. If you have ADSL there is no such patch and your telephone line continues back to the exchange like it always done(*).

VDSL signals probably do have some impact on your connection speed but it'll be in the form of crosstalk and is more likely to hinder than help. ADSL and VDSL use the same frequencies. The main reason VDSL is faster is because it uses a greater range of frequencies. There's a bit more to it than that but they are basically the same technology.

(*)For FTTC the line also goes back to the exchange but it first passes through the new cab and that removes everything except voice signals.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Tue 04-Mar-14 13:36:43)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:52:42
Print Post

Your ADSL2+ based service will continue as it is, FTTC is a new product that requires you to order it from your service provider

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Mar-14 13:55:53
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Hence why I am keeping one ADSL2+ line and one FTTC line, so if cab gets demolished by car accident I can fall back to ADSL2+

The FTTC is more in line if someone does not stop at the t junction than the old PSTN cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to