General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Horridge
(newbie) Wed 05-Mar-14 08:31:25
Print Post

Line Rental Have Any Effect on Connection?

[link to this post]

I see that you can get line rental from Primus for £5.99, as we have no need for a home phone these days this seems ideal to save a few pennies. But what I'd like to know is whether the company you pay for line rental has any effect on your connection, stability, speed, etc.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 08:39:22
Print Post

Re: Line Rental Have Any Effect on Connection?

[re: Horridge] [link to this post]

Not all companies will allow you to take broadband if you don't also have their phone. However, if the ISP does allow you to have broadband with someone else providing phone then the supplier of the phone has no impact on the broadband itself. The only issue you might have is if they aren't very good at problem solving then getting faults fixed could become a fight between the phone provider and the broadband provider with you playing piggy in the middle.

I have no experience of Primus and they may be very good but that price is incredibly low they must be making a profit somewhere else.
Standard User Horridge
(newbie) Wed 05-Mar-14 10:44:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

If you have to contact them for anything my understanding is that they're awful. I think they make the profit on call charges, which I don't plan to use. I plan to use Zen, who do allow you to have separate line rental. So I think I have to decide whether the risk of any problems and having to contact them is worth the saving of a few quid a month then?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 10:52:32
Print Post

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Pay that low and service is unlikely to be good but if your line doesn't develop problems then the saving could be worth it.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 05-Mar-14 16:15:03
Print Post

Actually have tested that idea, one of my lines with Primus and did have a fault and they did the testing as expected and tests showed fault in network, so never even saw the Openreach engineer, got fixed in a day or so.

Maybe was lucky with the person answering, not sure I would risk broadband, but WLR seems reasonable.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 16:47:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It is interesting.

If you have no problems it is fine.
If you have an identifiable problem such as you mention then likely to be fine.
It is those awkward/intermittent problems that show the quality of customer service. Primus may well be fine at that but I don't know how they can do everything for such a low price.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 23:01:34
Print Post

..... but I don't know how they can do everything for such a low price.

Maybe we should all be asking why the other providers of line rental do the same and charge so much more? tongue

plusnet user
Standard User commsguru
(learned) Thu 06-Mar-14 00:02:02
Print Post

I was thinking of trying primus line rental for £5.99 but it is hard to get broadband by itself. plusnet do it for about 12.50.
it is cheaper and much easier to just use talktalk. pay the line rental saver = about 10.50p/m line rental and broadband for £2.50
also the primus offer I think is just for 1 year.

just remembered topcashback currently have a offer of 100 quid cashback and 100 pound giftcard for m&s.
half price broadband for 12months. it works out 20.40 p/m
that's £244 a year - £200 rewards = £44 per year = £3.73 p/m!!!!!!!!
If that's not the best deal I don't know what is!...
Yes I know whats the best deal OVIVO for your mobile phone £20 one off payment and free 300 mins p/m forever!

Edited by commsguru (Thu 06-Mar-14 00:11:24)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Mar-14 08:15:41
Print Post

[re: commsguru] [link to this post]

also the primus offer I think is just for 1 year.

That starts to make sense. After that it appears they are a similar price to other providers so not dissimilar to the sort of offers that people like Plusnet or Sky do from time to time.
  Print Thread

Jump to