General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User IamFibremad
(newbie) Wed 05-Mar-14 17:53:58
Print Post

Ever thought of Multihoming?

[link to this post]

MultiHoming?! I was thinking of it just a few days ago and it just hit me today, but im missing a few things to complete the Pro's and Con's Id love to do it, with a friend maybe around 50 miles away on a totally different Backbone connection(Virgin Media) with a healthy 100mbps i have just under half of that on BT we know the concept of Multihoming is for reliability and speed but is it possible just for Residential to do it? I mean we pretty much have control of the backbone of the network(Within reason) on what we send and receive through it, so why not speed. Would anyone like to shed some light too like what it takes, and how it works fully?
Thanks(Hope im in the right category)

I Like Fibre.. DO you? We can be Fibre friends.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Mar-14 18:12:05
Print Post

Re: Ever thought of Multihoming?

[re: IamFibremad] [link to this post]

What has your friend got to do with it, except as a point of interest that he has a faster connection than you? I'm asking in case you think it matters. (And please don't type everything in bold. It hurts my eyes smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 05-Mar-14 18:21:03)

Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 18:23:01
Print Post

Depends what you mean by multihoming.

To do it properly and not be dependent on a single network, you'll need some IP space from RIPE (v4 and v6) but you cannot get PI space any more, so you'd need PA which means becoming a RIPE LIR.

You'd then need an AS and at least two providers who will offer you BGP feed and a session for each. You then advertise your IP prefixes and job done. You would also need hardware to run the session, either an all in one box like a Juniper SRX220 or Linux box running quagga/zebra.

You may however mean something more like load-balancing which is a completely different way of "multihoming".

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User IamFibremad
(newbie) Thu 06-Mar-14 17:45:53
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Hi Matt, Thanks for that lovely technical Info, I think i may have slipped up on the meaning, you could be right with the second option. Load-Balancing, but wouldn't that still come under the Multi-Homing section?

I Like Fibre.. DO you? We can be Fibre friends.

Edited by IamFibremad (Thu 06-Mar-14 17:47:05)

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Thu 06-Mar-14 18:52:55
Print Post

Are you wanting to provide you and your friend with an alternative connection if your primary one goes down?

Not that cheap to do unfortunately as you would both require too connections, one each to the outside world and one configured as tunnel between your two routers but as Matt says it would require a bit more than your average consumer router to do this.

If you both just want a backup connection for emergency use a simpler solution might be to buy a router such as a Billion 7800DXL which has the capability to use a a 3 or 4G dongle as a backup and can be configured to failover to this if the primary connection fails but this would require additional outlay on either credit if you use pay as you go or a contract.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Thu 06-Mar-14 18:56:48)

Print Thread

Jump to