General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JamieKG
(newbie) Thu 06-Mar-14 20:52:40
Print Post

Looking to move isp

[link to this post]

Hi I am currently with TalkTalk on FTTC and im looking to change my ISP but I was thinking of moving to a smaller one like Uno or alike I put my number in there Broadband Availability Checker but it states I need a bt whole sale line would this mean I would need to go back to bt before being able to move to a smaller one ?

Thanks JamieKG
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Mar-14 22:50:22
Print Post

Re: Looking to move isp

[re: JamieKG] [link to this post]

You need to have the phone line moved back to BT Wholesale Line Rental (which confusingly is an Openreach product), but you don't need to go to BT Retail.

I expect you've only looked at the uno/xilo website. I suggest you give them a ring, as they can provide WLR lines.

IIRC there can be a problem moving from full LLU FTTC such as yours. There used to be no ordering path at Openreach to achieve it, though I have a feeling there may now be. You had to migrate via ADSLx then upgrade after the migration. Very messy.

Uno should be able to tell you the current situation and the best way to move.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User JamieKG
(newbie) Thu 06-Mar-14 23:01:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ok thanks for the reply I will contact them to see the options that are open to me I hope its not that messy

Thanks JamieKG

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adp56_uk
(newbie) Thu 06-Mar-14 23:32:21
Print Post

Give some thought to Andrews & Arnold (AAISP).

They are not the cheapest, but their customer service is excellent, and their ability to get problems dealt with by the wholesalers (eg: BT Wholesale) is quite incredible.
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Fri 07-Mar-14 13:02:38
Print Post

I can confirm AAISP are extremely good. But be aware of what you are signing up to in terms of their unit-based tariff and peak-time usage. Basically, if you use the connection a lot from 9am to 6pm weekdays, don't do it as the charges will be quite beefy. AAISP also offer a Home::1 package that is not based on units but instead X Gb per month. Depending on your monthly usage, you may want to consider that instead. You can move the phone line to them, but be aware that it is a locked down line and you cannot make any chargeable calls on it. You can still dial freephone numbers though and receive incoming calls without issues.

I'm probably going to move to Zen next month (my FTTC contract is up). I have used them before, several years ago. They currently offer unlimited fibre 1 and 2 packages (no metering) for a great deal if you also move the phone line to them (which I will be doing if I migrate to them). In this case, they do allow you to make outbound calls on the phone line but charge accordingly for that (see their website for pricing).

There is also Plusnet, but the current negative reports of customer service on the forums here for them doesn't look appealing. And also the fact they traffic manage and block certain sites. But if you don't mind this, they are a cheaper alternative, also with some attractive phone packages to boot.

There is also IDNet, but they also meter your traffic. Vivaciti and Aquiss are others but you would need to compare if you would be getting a better deal moving the line back to BT with broadband from these or letting these ISPs take on the phone line as well as the broadband (assuming they can do that) and paying your pennies to just a single entity.

Now on <aaisp.net> (21CN+IPv6+40Mb/FTTC)
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User Malwaremike
(committed) Fri 07-Mar-14 17:18:41
Print Post

Hi Jamie - why are you leaving TT? Most people here can provide many reasons but I'd be interested to know if you find them as bad as they used to be.
Standard User JamieKG
(newbie) Sat 08-Mar-14 13:49:09
Print Post

[re: Malwaremike] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replys and recommendations as to why I would like to move Ive been a TalkTalk customer for about 5 to 6 years my broadband has always need really good no major speed problems but some thing happened on the 16th of last month I had to contact support to have issues fixed loss of broadband and when it was on it was cutting off alot and that is were the problems started what a farce left me wanting to move away for a more professional and personal touch
  Print Thread

Jump to