General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jamieking86
(newbie) Fri 07-Mar-14 22:24:15
Print Post

Broadband Only

[link to this post]

Hi guys, i'm doing my nut in here. I'm moving into a flat with my girlfriend next month, and we are looking for broadband deals ONLY. We don't want phone line, or tv package, just broadband. Preferably 16mbs or more. (I'm guessing this is enough for online gaming, streaming movies etc but i'm not the best technology wise.) We aren't gonna get a TV licence because all they show on TV these days is utter garbage, so we stick to 4oD or bbc iplayer which we can get on Xbox or laptop. I've tried searching everywhere online, the only deal i can find that does Broadband only is Virgin for £20 a month for 3 months then £25 after that. That's a little bit too expensive for us. We was looking in the range of £10-£15 a month. Everywhere seem to only do Broadband and Line rental, but we don't want a phone line as we've got our mobiles with free minutes. Whats the frigging point? Doing my head in, someone please help. Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 07-Mar-14 22:27:44
Print Post

Re: Broadband Only

[re: Jamieking86] [link to this post]

Unless 4G/3G can do the usage needs you need then its

Virgin Media cable broadband and getting a telephone line based broadband service with its line rental included for less than £20 puts you into the realms of TalkTalk full LLU

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Jamieking86
(newbie) Fri 07-Mar-14 22:34:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ye it baffles me that its actually cheaper to get a line rental aswel. Seen that one at Virgin but its an 18 month contract, i think were only gonna be there 12 months

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 07-Mar-14 22:42:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Jamieking86:
we don't want a phone line
You might not want it but you need it to carry the BB signal for the usual ADSL BB. That's from anyone except Virgin (or mobile BB or satellite BB) who don't do copper line based BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Mar-14 09:13:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by Jamieking86:
we don't want a phone line
You might not want it but you need it to carry the BB signal for the usual ADSL BB. That's from anyone except Virgin (or mobile BB or satellite BB) who don't do copper line based BB.

Virgin Media still seem to offer broadband down a phoneline according to their website.

http://store.virginmedia.com/national-broadband.html

plusnet user
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Mar-14 09:19:31
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
Virgin Media still seem to offer broadband down a phoneline according to their website.

They don't though.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User zom22
(regular) Sat 08-Mar-14 09:52:29
Print Post

This point has been explained perhaps 1000's of times on broadband forums
So I shall explain yet again.....just for you

The term 'Line Rental' in the UK is misleading as follows
Your phone charge are in reality made up of THREE components
1. Rental charge for the physical line to your address, its maintenance,repair, upgrade etc
2. A charge for receiving a voice service on said line - call charges being extra depending on package
3. A charge for receiving a data (Broadband) service on the line.

In the UK OFCOM has stated that items 1 and 2 must be combined and they are called line rental.

Now equally they could change over and say that items 1 and 3 must be combined. Then we would all find our Broadband charges soaring as they now incorporated item (1) while the extra change for having a voice service on the line would be quite small.
You wouldn't like that particularly as there are more pure phone lines than broadband activated phone lines in the UK so these pure phone lines are subsidizing the broadband activated phone lines and paying for the broadband improvement for you.

To make this totally transparent we really should be paying 3 monthly payments. One to the network operator, one to our voice phone supplier, and one to our broadband data supplier. Then you could pick and choose: 1 and 3, 1 and 2 or 1,2 and 3.

What you the OP and countless other before want is to pay just the broadband part and not pay any of the repair/maintenance/upgrade part. We it isn't going to happen - ever.....as you are discovering.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Mar-14 12:05:01
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by Apprentice:

They don't though.

Yes I see what you mean after putting a postcode through the checker smile

plusnet user
  Print Thread

Jump to