General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Mar-14 09:34:15
Print Post

Fibre v ADSL

[link to this post]

I have standard ADSL, sync speed a constant 7616 and download speeds usually around 6.3 - 6.5meg. I do not stream video, watch TV, Netflix, iPlayer etc. Online activity is mainly browsing and emails.

Fibre is being installed past my home and I have been advised that for normal internet use such as detailed above, I will see no improvement with fibre. Is this advice correct?

Andrew
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 10-Mar-14 09:39:53
Print Post

Re: Fibre v ADSL

[re: Andrew_W] [link to this post]

Correct, for what you want ADSL will be fine.

Moving to VDSL/FTTC may offer a connection that gives 40, 50, 60 Mbps but nothing you do requires that. You might save 1/2 second on a mail download, or web-pages load 0.1 second faster but nothing noticeable.

However, do you upload large files? Photographs for example or send large emails with images attached? If you do, then VDSL will almost certainly offer a lot faster speeds in that direction. I know a couple of people whio have benefitted in that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Mar-14 11:27:39
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thank you for that! Save myself some money then smile

No, I don't often send large images but take your point. My ISP doesn't charge for uploads so speed in that regard is not important!

Andrew

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nadger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 10-Mar-14 11:38:08
Print Post

I stream about 150Gb a month using iPlayer, 4OD, Demand5, NOWTV and Netflix using Roku LT

My Plusnet ADSL connection, giving 7.8Mbps download speed, copes perfectly well with no buffering.

I could get fibre but don't see the need - might be different if there were more users in the house.

I'd rather keep the £10/month

plusnet usergroup member cool
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Mar-14 11:39:37
Print Post

As above stick with what you have unless your habits change and you start to do anything you have mentioned. in fact dial up if it were still around would be fine for what you have suggested.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Mar-14 11:44:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by Andrew_W:
I have standard ADSL, sync speed a constant 7616 and download speeds usually around 6.3 - 6.5meg. I do not stream video, watch TV, Netflix, iPlayer etc. Online activity is mainly browsing and emails.

Fibre is being installed past my home and I have been advised that for normal internet use such as detailed above, I will see no improvement with fibre. Is this advice correct?
FTTC doesn't just offer speed (which I agree it sounds like you don't need) but it also offers reliability. It's not a guarantee but with shorter copper lengths between you and the DSLAM there is far less scope for things to go wrong.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User Andrew_W
(knowledge is power) Mon 10-Mar-14 11:46:05
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pcoventry76:
As above stick with what you have unless your habits change and you start to do anything you have mentioned. in fact dial up if it were still around would be fine for what you have suggested.

Some websites already exhibit the characteristics of dial-up! I might lack ambition but not that much!!! wink

Andrew
Standard User mikejp
(regular) Mon 10-Mar-14 11:46:20
Print Post

A thought - I have an 'up to 16mb' ADSL2 LLU contract. I get around 4. Fibre 'is a comin'. What chance do I have of a fibre connection and a contract price delivering what I am 'contracted' to get? Possible and at what connection price? Presumably the actual bandwidth should not cost more.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 10-Mar-14 12:14:27
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

The actual bandwidth cost will be the same, if your provider is charging you per GB. But as there is the additional monthly rental to pay for the FTTC kit in the street the price will go up.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Mon 10-Mar-14 12:18:23
Print Post

Also be wary.

The fact that fibre goes past your house will not necessarily imply that you would gain any speed from it.

Fibre (shortly) will pass within about 3 metres of the nearest point of my house, to an FTTC Cabinet about 10 metres away, with the shortest distance from that FTTC Cabinet (already in position and possibly powered up) to the NTE under my stairs being about 25 metres.

However, the FTTC cabinet has to connect to the existing PCP (Green) Cabinet about 25 metres further away - so that much extra (lossy) copper in the circuit, from which the existing, 1967, wiring takes about another 225 metres to get in to my house and the NTE.

Some of the other houses on the estate, which conventionally are further away from both cabinets, are electrically in phone terms, closer to them, so potentially will have lower losses and higher speeds!

250 metres of copper wiring starts to show significant reductions in FTTC speeds

-----------------------

I recommend that you try to locate your own Cabinet/s and wiring runs.

Edited by eckiedoo (Mon 10-Mar-14 12:20:49)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to