General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Retal2
(newbie) Tue 11-Mar-14 20:06:40
Print Post

Where did all the ADSL24 customers go? Coms is garbage

[link to this post]

ADSL24 got bought out by Coms. Who are Coms? Today they managed to firewall all ICMP traffic leaving their network so it's not possible to ping or trace to anywhere. That's about par for the course for Coms, on any given day there will be some other issue, but it's besides the point given that speeds are averaging somewhere around 100KB/sec unstable to UK endpoints.

Obviously Coms is total garbage. But where did everyone else go? I've been looking at the 2014 ADSL ISP landscape and it looks bleak. It's as if ADSL24 was the last good ISP on the planet and it's just been bulldozed. I did find a nice broadband+phone package from XILO but they told me I can't have it because they don't know why.

I want to find another provider which offers unlimited ADSL + phone for £30/mo, no contract, no migration fee. Since ADSL24 was LLU everyone wants to charge me upwards of £40 to migrate which is an absolute joke. When I bought ADSL24 LLU I didn't think it would be a problem because I heard ADSL24 was good. And it was. I never imagined someone would destroy them from the inside.

Someone save me.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 11-Mar-14 20:33:42
Print Post

Re: Where did all the ADSL24 customers go? Coms is garbage

[re: Retal2] [link to this post]

Im still on coms. Apart from some packet loss ive not had any major issues. Ive PM'd DanComs to try and get to the bottom of the packet loss issue, he managed to sort the 3 day session issue out pretty quickly
Standard User Retal2
(newbie) Thu 13-Mar-14 12:22:48
Print Post

Re: Where did all the ADSL24 customers go? Coms is garbage *DELETED*

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Retal2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Retal2
(newbie) Sat 15-Mar-14 03:11:01
Print Post

Re: Where did all the ADSL24 customers go? Coms is garbage *

Having done testing I can confirm that Coms IS using traffic shaping to profile download speeds for non-HTTP services.

Here's a good way to see how much Coms is [censored] you over:

1. Visit http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics
2. Run speed test
3. See what your HTTP download speed is
4. Observe that the following thee "streaming" tests yield 50% or lower than your download speed

Edited by Retal2 (Sat 15-Mar-14 03:21:22)

Standard User 10101010
(newbie) Sat 15-Mar-14 11:27:25
Print Post

hey - just tried this on my coms connection (BT I think) and get green ticks for everything. what do u see as stuff looks good to me?
Standard User samlcampbell
(regular) Sat 15-Mar-14 12:16:51
Print Post

[re: 10101010] [link to this post]

Just tried mine, My streaming speeds are within +- 0.4% of download speed. Very pleased with speed since quick response from Coms to adjust things. (not sure what) I was experiencing frequent short disconnections. Noticed on broadband quality monitor severe packet loss around 8pm for a couple of nights.Nowt much improved though not perfect, will keep an eye on it. So sticking where I am for a bit to see how service develops. The biggest problem is where to go , frying pan and fire come to mind.
Standard User Retal2
(newbie) Sat 15-Mar-14 13:28:18
Print Post

[re: samlcampbell] [link to this post]

It doesn't really matter where you go. I've seen my share of bad ISPs and as far as that goes Coms is the pits. Just pick any of them with a short contract (1-3) months as these are typically confident of their service quality. It's the ones with 12-month contracts that are the cancer you need to steer clear of. Note Coms also inflicts 12-month contracts on new customers. Just imagine.
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Mar-14 13:42:41
Print Post

Have you got a mac? If you aren't happy leave

Edited by bobble_bob (Sat 15-Mar-14 13:43:01)

Standard User 10101010
(newbie) Sat 15-Mar-14 13:55:18
Print Post

indeed - you pay your £'s, you make your choice....

Edited by 10101010 (Sat 15-Mar-14 16:12:29)

Standard User Retal2
(newbie) Sat 15-Mar-14 15:01:00
Print Post

>If you aren't happy leave

Since you seem incapable of basic reading comprehension you should note that the topic of this thread is where to move to. And yes I do have a MAC, thanks for asking.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to