General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Mar-14 10:12:21
Print Post

Australia NBN

[link to this post]

Just reading this on the Register.

Seems the new Aussie government is seeing the FTTP plans as a waste of money and now are going with mixed tech. Did BT/BDUK get it right with FTTC over FTTP. Seems for Australia FTTP is not considered suitable as the prime method. Suspect UK would have come to the same conclusion if FTTP had been assumed as the answer.

Also interesting that they mention a railway upgrade that turned into a white elephant - HS2 anyone?

The parallels between UK and Australia have to make you think about whether UK plans for primarily FTTC are wrong and whether HS2 will be the same result as the Aus rail line mentioned in the article (not that I know anything other than what is there).
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Mar-14 10:39:42
Print Post

Re: Australia NBN

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
The parallels between UK and Australia have to make you think
I'm not sure we can say that. Australia is about as different from the UK in geographical, economic and demographic terms as you can get.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Mar-14 10:52:46
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

But there are still parallels. I didn't say we were the same but clearly there are some interesting developments that are similar in both.

In many ways you would imagine Australia would suit FTTP better as with the spread of buildings in their rural areas I doubt there is much in the way of cabinets outside of the urban areas. They have a scale issue far beyond what we do (due to the size of the country and the lack of density outside of urban areas).

The article to me almost read as a comparison of Aus and UK - especially when they mentione the railway at the end - that may just be because I read that in to it and probably wasn't intended but it did feel like a bit of a dig at HS2 and validation of UK FTTC plans.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Mar-14 11:52:38
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The real rural Aus was and still is unless the spring sun has cooked my brain destined to enjoy satellite and fixed wireless type access.

The old FTTP plan was not a guarantee of FTTP for every property, given the 100's of miles apart in some areas that would be expensive.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to