General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 16-Mar-14 17:13:00
Print Post

BT OR visit 2 tomorrow: what should I be asking to be done?

[link to this post]

Please see threads http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4311878-... and http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4313706-re-... for background.

The issue is that the speed dropped overnight literally.

I can't really afford to keep taking time off for OR engineers to come here, scratch their heads, do something at the exchange and then proclaim it has been fixed when it hasn't, they have apparently also done some further work at the exchange in between times but this hasn't really done much.

I do work in an IT role so understand the principles of networking but I'll hold my hands up and say I don't understand a great deal about ADSL, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

ISP have been at all times fantastic but the problem seems to be in openreach's domain.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Edited by techguy (Sun 16-Mar-14 17:14:12)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Mar-14 17:30:02
Print Post

Re: BT OR visit 2 tomorrow: what should I be asking to be do

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

Is your router connected to the phone socket directly and not through anything like a surge protector?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 16-Mar-14 17:46:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, its been that way since I started trying to get the fault fixed.

Filter was replaced with a brand new one on Thursday and I've made sure that the MTU is set to 1432 which is the size Xilo mention in their e-mail

connection swings between 1.45 and 2.10 (TTB x1 test shows 0.40) so something has definitely changed somewhere.

Tried NowTV which used to stream absolutely smoothly and that just buffers.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale) => Xilo (TT Wholesale due to O2 Wholesale closure)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Mar-14 18:03:52
Print Post

Do your line stats give any clues?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 16-Mar-14 18:07:45
Print Post

Here are the stats I've just pulled off the router

DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2
Upstream 682
Downstream 4195
SNR Margin(Upstream) 8.5
SNR Margin(Downstream) 5.9
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 32.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 58.5

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Mar-14 18:10:11
Print Post

I see you're on ADSL2 rather than ADSL2+. Is that deliberate?

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 16-Mar-14 18:12:37
Print Post

At times its said its on G.DMT.

All the support options in the router are ticked so this is a decision that the kit at the exchange or someone at TT has made, nothing I have changed.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Mar-14 18:18:02
Print Post

Presumably the extra frequencies are of no use to you. This could be down to line length, line quality or noise. You may have non-copper cables or maybe an RF filter due to external noise, or a line fault. It could even be a poor router.

Are you anywhere near the estimate for your line?

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Sun 16-Mar-14 18:25:22
Print Post

Tried three routers, including a brand new one, no difference.

I'm told I'm over the estimate for a 3 km line but that still doesn't explain the sudden drop, does it?

Edited by techguy (Sun 16-Mar-14 18:29:26)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 16-Mar-14 18:30:46
Print Post

I think you need to ask them to fix the fault wink

Also, you need Zarjaz answering here.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to