General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Sun 16-Mar-14 19:56:45
Print Post

2 Lines

[link to this post]

Hi there, ive had in my property for many years our standard bt business broadband line, I have now ordered a new line to be installed by talktalk on llu,
basically here is the situation
original line bt business broadband 15-18Mb
new line being installed talktalk home broadband 12-18Mb
its a 12 month contract and line is being installed at the end of the month,
I am doing it purely for backup just in case the bt broadband should fail and vise versa, the line is not being used for business use might I add. it was because business was the best speed and service reliability we could get at the time

I am going to use a tp link load balancing router for this setup after its all installed
is this a wise thing for me to do? eg. having two different lines from two different providers?

BT Business Unlimited ADSL2+
18Mb down 1.1Mb up
Standard User Benjanyan
(newbie) Sun 16-Mar-14 21:31:07
Print Post

Re: 2 Lines

[re: thomaswarne01] [link to this post]

My Dad has two lines, ones with Coms (via TT LLU) and the other is TalkTalk LLU. Other than TalkTalk accidentally slamming the other telephone line when we changed package and ADSL24 (now Coms) being unable to tell which line was which to reinstate it, there hasn't been any serious problems. One performs much worse though (syncs at half the speed).

I'm using a virtual machine running pfSense to spread usage over both (not sure if it's "load balanced", it does what it likes). Failover seems to work well enough that my Dad hasn't noticed when a modem's gone belly up (for days!). I think we've had that setup for about 3 years now.

I'm looking into VPNing them both to my VPS and bonding them at both ends to hopefully increase speeds to around a blistering 10mbps. A project for when I'm less busy, if I ever am.
Standard User thomaswarne01
(regular) Sun 16-Mar-14 22:27:51
Print Post

Re: 2 Lines

[re: Benjanyan] [link to this post]

thanks, I have been trialing the tp link r488t and it is working well now over my single connection - load balancing that is, really looking forward to seeing how things perform with two lines smile

BT Business Unlimited ADSL2+
18Mb down 1.1Mb up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to