General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User saboo1690
(learned) Wed 19-Mar-14 11:24:36
Print Post

vpn provider

[link to this post]

Hello folks. I'm in the market for a good vpn provider. One that works through a router because I have various bits of hardware I want to go through a vpn........
I have no experience using vpn so something easy and simple would be good. Ive been looking about for a provider but cant decide so help would be greatly appreciated. .....smile
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Mar-14 12:03:09
Print Post

Re: vpn provider

[re: saboo1690] [link to this post]

What is the purpose of the VPN as that will have a bearing on who is best to deliver it for you.
Standard User saboo1690
(learned) Wed 19-Mar-14 12:20:39
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Hello ian. Its for torrents and newsnet. I have a network hard drive for this. Also xbox live and I have two wd live media players.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 19-Mar-14 12:24:52
Print Post

I use Giganews which gives a free Golden Frog subscription

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Wed 19-Mar-14 12:48:29
Print Post

Airvpn is worth a look.
They are very open about their server load so you can judge which one to connect to.
Link
They have some guides on the site for Tomato and DDWRT and you can download custom Openvpn config files.
I even managed to get it working with a Synology NAS. The problem being having to use a personal certificate as opposed to just a username and password.

This is a speedtest through one of their UK servers:
Speedtest

xilo Fibre+ BQM
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 19-Mar-14 13:22:49
Print Post

I still think I am pretty naive here. Apart from obfuscation of what you are doing (for whatever reason) what is the benefit of using a VPN as these services do not need a VPN to operate?

Is this to stop big brother spying (ie NSA), to stop the copyright holders knowing who has done the download or is there another reason that I just don't understand for adding additional overhead to what is essentially simple downloads?
Standard User saboo1690
(learned) Wed 19-Mar-14 13:47:14
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ian I do realise the things that I mentioned don't need vpn to operate but my isp in their great wisdom have decided to cap my connection when I'm downloading torrents. So this is why I'm looking a vpn.........smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Mar-14 14:00:05
Print Post

LOL smile.

Will the VPN be free, or will the total cost be greater than using an ISP that doesn't do that?

Edit - currently with ADSL24/Coms?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 19-Mar-14 14:01:45)

Standard User saboo1690
(learned) Wed 19-Mar-14 14:02:32
Print Post

[re: gmoorc] [link to this post]

Hi gmoorc I also have a synology nas. The only problem is being a novice at all this I think I would get lost very quick trying the set it up.......lol
Apart from vpn is there any other options I could look into.
Standard User saboo1690
(learned) Wed 19-Mar-14 14:09:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello robertos. I pay a high price for what was a very good service but now I regret to say its not the same.....wink
I dont like to drop names cause it's not my way but I have considered moving to a different isp. I was looking at a few price's and I might just have to bite the bullet and move
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to