General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Mar-14 10:31:57
Print Post

How can I slow down my connection?

[link to this post]

This may sound like a strange question but over the past few days my connection has gone from 2.988 Mbps connection to the dizzy heights of 3.844 Mbps these are the router stats (I am in a non fibre area and with BT) the main problem I am having is massive packet loss and loss of connection in general. There are loads of errors in the router stats as well.

Yesterday I managed to get it down to 3.1 Mbps in the router stats by multiple restarts however overnight the connection has gone up to the 3.844 Mbps.

I also just read before posting the article on the chromecast which I got on Wednesday and could this be part of the issue of freezing? (However it did not freeze when my connection was at the lower 3.1 Mbps)

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6372-will-google-...

I have connected to the router

Desktop PC
Laptop
WD Live box
Google Chromecast
Iphone
Sony Xperia
PS3

Most of the above are not doing anything at the same time the I would only be using 1 or at the very most 2 of these at the same time.

Also yesterday when trying to access my router it was saying my password was invalid? Even though I was using the correct password, then after an hour it would let me back in using the same password?

Just as I type this the connection has reset itself yet again........ 3.15Mbps.... but I know by this afternoon it will probably reset itself to a higher speed as it has been doing this constantly over the past few days.

So is there anyway I can get it not to go above 3.1 Mbps? As the auto management clearly is not working.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Mar-14 11:37:45
Print Post

Re: How can I slow down my connection?

[re: colic] [link to this post]

Speak to your isp and ask to be slowed down. You can also just set your router to adsl only mode and see if that helps

IanD
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 22-Mar-14 13:57:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by colic:
these are the router stats
Where?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Mar-14 14:45:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by colic:
these are the router stats
Where?

It should have read these are from the router stats. It was not a speed test speed a synch speed I was quoting I was trying to make it clear which I did a very bad job at crazy

I will have fun on the phone to BT India next week about this crazy

The speed has increased since this morning already so by this evening when it increases yet again it will be unusable again :/

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:27:25
Downstream: 3.25 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Mar-14 14:50:10
Print Post

Which router are you using? It sounds like it's broken.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Mar-14 17:15:09
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Its a Home Hub 4.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Mar-14 18:24:57
Print Post

Do you have another one you can try, preferably non-BT?

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to