General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TomPoolHD
(regular) Sun 30-Mar-14 20:42:08
Print Post

Plusnet current line speed.

[link to this post]

I am really annoyed with the plusnet "current line speed". Today I picked up a 5.05mb speed profile after being connected for about 14 days at 5750km/s sync. Plusnet I believe have a system that is a kind of profile at there end which controls the speed at there end in conjunction with Bt, my current line speed is stuck at 3.9mb/s and won't budge and when I do a speed test I'm getting 3.8mb/s so must be getting limited by the 3.9mb/s cap is there anyway to get that moved to the 5.05mb/s?
Thanks in advance!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 20:53:29
Print Post

Re: Plusnet current line speed.

[re: TomPoolHD] [link to this post]

It updates automatically a few times a day, but can fail. The other way is to ring support and get them to adjust it manually.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TomPoolHD
(regular) Sun 30-Mar-14 21:48:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's quite annoying how it sometime fails, is it worth giving it a few days to sort itself out?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 21:53:34
Print Post

[re: TomPoolHD] [link to this post]

If it isn't correct by the morning, it won't correct till the next time you disconnect the PPP session for a few minutes, and may even need a re-sync.

The update is triggered by BT systems when the above occur.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 31-Mar-14 00:00:18
Print Post

On an ADSL2 (21CN) line it takes about 3 days to for the Plusnet profile to reset to a faster line speed. If you want the speed reset more quickly you have to contact them.

The Plusnet profile system is a scheme which ensures that any reduction in line speed is extended for an additional 3 days. A needless degradation in performance.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 31-Mar-14 00:18:00
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Have you got any reference for that please? I've never seen it mentioned before. What I have seen PN reps say is that the update takes place two or three times per day.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(committed) Mon 31-Mar-14 00:21:50
Print Post

I know because I have had to ring them. I have also seen requests made on their forum.

Michael Chare
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 02-Apr-14 17:08:47
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

when BT used to have the 5 day wait the excuse was the server couldnt cope, I felt that had very little merit.

I suspect the reasoning for the long delays on plusnet is they are trying to hide speed variance on unstable lines that flip flop between speeds.

So eg if a line is on 3mbit sync for 2 days, then 5mbit sync for 2 days then 3mbit sync for 2 days and so on, the plusnet profile system will keep their speed permanently on 3mbit/sec and the end user wont see the 5mbit so then probabyl wont complain about a 5mbit speed dropping to 3mbit as its always at 3mbit, if that makes sense.

I dont see any other logical reason, but like you say I think its wrong, if they capable of dropping the profile so fast then they capable of increasing it also.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Apr-14 17:57:40
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I don't think this correct anyway. I believe there is a misunderstanding somewhere or a first-line support person who needs "additional training".

As far as I know there has never been any mention of a 3-day delay for the Current line speed to update.

Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Apr-14 18:52:45
Print Post

Re: Plusnet current line speed. *DELETED*

Post deleted by jelv
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to