General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User reklaw99
(newbie) Tue 01-Apr-14 00:40:18
Print Post

Supanet Broadband Speeds

[link to this post]

Hello! I am struggling to see what expected line speed I should be getting. The line connects between 1400-2700 kbps down. Up speed is always 448kbps. Straight line distance to the exchange is 2.77km. Here are my connection details:

--- System Information ---
Vendor: Linksys
ModelName: WAG54G2
Firmware Version: 1.00.17 , 2009-06-02T19:15:44
Boot Version: 1.03
Hardware Version: 0.01

--- DSL Information ---
DSL Driver Version: E.25.41.39
DSL VPI/VCI: 0/38
DSL Status: Showtime
DSL Mode: G.Dmt
DSL Channel: 64
DSL Upstream Rate: 448000
DSL Downstream Rate: 1856000

Down up
DSL Noise Margin: 11 dB 6.5 dB
DSL Attenuation: 31.5 dB 61.5 dB
DSL Transmit Power: 16.6 dBm 12.4 dBm

Can anyone make any suggestions to get the most out of the connection.

Thanks in advance!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Apr-14 00:56:20
Print Post

Re: Supanet Broadband Speeds

[re: reklaw99] [link to this post]

The first thing to try, if you haven't already done it, is check the ring wire at the master socket and gently remove it if present.

Always try to connect during daylight hours. Not dawn/dusk/dark.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 01-Apr-14 00:57:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Apr-14 00:58:25
Print Post

Please could you tell us the exchange?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User reklaw99
(newbie) Tue 01-Apr-14 08:24:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Please could you tell us the exchange?

The exchange is Alvaston - in the Derby area.

Regarding the master socket, I already have the rj45 connector in the master socket. This seemed to make a small improvement.

Cheers!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Apr-14 11:53:44
Print Post

When you say "the master socket", do you mean the normal socket on its outside, or the test socket inside - in the wall in this pic? Are there any wires attached to the faceplate, as shown there?

Re your exchange, I see that ADSL2+ is available. With your attenuation that would probably be worse than the ADSL you are on, but ADSL2 might offer a small improvement. Are you specifically on an "up to 8Mbps" product from Supanet, or is that just a setting you can alter.

Re your Linksys router, I think it is a later WAG54 than I had until its wireless died. However, I replaced it with a Technicolor (was Speedtouch) 585v6 and straight out of the box it sync'ed 500kbps faster. That was followed by a series of Netgear 834s (the versions with Broadcom chips the same as the 585), all of which gave the same higher speed but were much more stable.

They are also easy to tweak the noise margin, (and swap between ADSL/2/2+ modes), so if you have a cleanish line you can gain a few hundred kbps there. There's a page on my website with instructions.

Have a look on eBay. Netgear 834v4 (no wireless), 834Gv4, 834GT, 834PN.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Apr-14 12:40:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by reklaw99:
Down up
Are you sure you've got the heading the right way round? Down attn. is about 2 x Up.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User reklaw99
(newbie) Tue 01-Apr-14 19:07:29
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by reklaw99:
Down up
Are you sure you've got the heading the right way round? Down attn. is about 2 x Up.

XRaySpeX, I dont know what it should be. I have taken a screenshot of the router info page.

Is this part of the problem?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 01-Apr-14 19:13:44
Print Post

It's OK! Your router is displaying the wrong heading - transposed. But it's hard to know which way round the NMs should be.

No, it's only part of analysing the problem grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 01-Apr-14 19:15:23)

Standard User reklaw99
(newbie) Tue 01-Apr-14 19:35:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
When you say "the master socket", do you mean the normal socket on its outside, or the test socket inside - in the wall in this pic? Are there any wires attached to the faceplate, as shown there?

Re your exchange, I see that ADSL2+ is available. With your attenuation that would probably be worse than the ADSL you are on, but ADSL2 might offer a small improvement. Are you specifically on an "up to 8Mbps" product from Supanet, or is that just a setting you can alter.

Re your Linksys router, I think it is a later WAG54 than I had until its wireless died. However, I replaced it with a Technicolor (was Speedtouch) 585v6 and straight out of the box it sync'ed 500kbps faster. That was followed by a series of Netgear 834s (the versions with Broadcom chips the same as the 585), all of which gave the same higher speed but were much more stable.

They are also easy to tweak the noise margin, (and swap between ADSL/2/2+ modes), so if you have a cleanish line you can gain a few hundred kbps there. There's a page on my website with instructions.

Have a look on eBay. Netgear 834v4 (no wireless), 834Gv4, 834GT, 834PN.

RobertoS, thanks for all your information. Regarding the master socket, there are no wires off the master socket 'extender', it is just connected directly into the master socket. Pic2 and Pic3 are with the wires pulled out of the box -they are normally tucked away as in Pic1. Pictures below:
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

The package I have with Supanet I believe is "Supanet Ultimate" however looking at the Supanet website there is no information about speeds. I would say the upload is capped at 448kbps as it never changes. Is this low upload bad for online gaming and Skype ect?

I could look at the possibility of changing router but I don't want to buy one and it not really have any benefit. I can change the mode to these options and currently have Multimode selected.

What do you think I can get out of the line? From putting in the line statistics on an online tool the connection speed is quoted to be much higher. From coolwebhome the speed is 6450Kbps to 7490Kbps.

EDIT:
Updated speed analysis with the correct downstream statistics!!

Cheers!

Edited by reklaw99 (Tue 01-Apr-14 19:39:45)

Standard User reklaw99
(newbie) Wed 02-Apr-14 17:38:08
Print Post

BUMP!!
  Print Thread

Jump to