General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User roger1941
(newbie) Fri 04-Apr-14 10:35:45
Print Post

Braodband Speed

[link to this post]

Hi. Is there any internationally recognized standard for speed available compared with contract speed. i.e. On a new service I am specified to have 6 mb/s but it normally running at less than 5 and sometimes around 4. , is this considered acceptable?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 11:16:45
Print Post

Re: Braodband Speed

[re: roger1941] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by roger1941:
Hi. Is there any internationally recognized standard for speed available compared with contract speed. i.e. On a new service I am specified to have 6 mb/s but it normally running at less than 5 and sometimes around 4. , is this considered acceptable?

What "Contact Speed"? What "Specified Speed"?

Your agreement will almost certainly say "Up to xxx Mbps" and any pre-installation enquiries will have given an estimate - which is only that. There are too many factors that come into play to be able to give a customer a contracted or specified speed. The only services that had that were teh old fixed rate 500/1000/2000 kbps basic ADSL.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 11:29:58
Print Post

It won't be "specified", it will be an estimate, and it refers to the sync (connection) speed, not the throughput speed. There are overheads of 10-13% on ADSLx, which gives you a net maximum speed test result of 80-85% of sync.

Variances below 80% will depend on the quality of your ISP.

Also if you are connecting wirelessly to your router you can lose a lot of throughput speed there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 04-Apr-14 11:31:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 04-Apr-14 11:51:12
Print Post

As MHC has indicated, the actual contract will almost certainly be qualified by "Up to ..."

However, I recommend that you do Quiet Line Tests, to ensure that your Land Line and your internal phone extensions (if any) are "clean".

Using preferably a corded phone direct in to the NTE (the box where the Exchange Line terminates within your house)

Dial 17070

Option 2 (or SKY Option 4)

A very low, quiet hum is usually acceptable.

Anything louder, "Snap, Crackle, Pop) dialling tones, test tones, bangs etc are not acceptable; and should be reported to your (Voice) Telephone Provider - NOT mentioning Broadband.

The legal requirement applies to Voice Telephony only, even if you otherwise "only use my mobile", which you also should not mention.

---------------------------------

Also QLT from any extensions and if (more) noise is heard, there is a problem with those extensions.

These tests should be with your various phone devices such as BB Modem/Router etc both disconnected totally and then plugged in and ON, progressively, to enable you to identify the source.

First time around may take you about 30 minutes; but could be time well spent.

Without a "clean" Land Line and internal extensions, you are never going to get "best performance".

It is your responsibility to sort out any problems in that area.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Apr-14 13:36:24
Print Post

All you can really do is compare your sync speed actually attained with that predicted by a reputable speed calculator such as http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php which is based on the laws of physics and samples of actual user speeds.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to