General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 04-Apr-14 12:06:17
Print Post

SKY Quiet Line Test "Quiet; but there is an ECHO on the Line

[link to this post]

When checking my Grand-Daughter's SKY-provided system I was appalled to find that the Download Speed was below the 3 Mbps level, although apart from normal line-routeing distances, she is decidedly nearer the same Exchange that I typically get 14 Mbps from, on EE/Orange.

I carried out the SKY QLT at the NTE with an old corded phone, getting the response-

"Quiet; but there is an ECHO on the Line"

There were no obvious noises apart from a very quiet hum, which also occurs on my own Land Line.

I did NOT HEAR any obvious ECHOES or echoing.

From my working background, I appreciate that echoes, standing waves etc are likely to have a bad effect; BUT in trying to get a better idea of the specific cause in this instance, I have not yet found any information.

Have any of you direct experience and knowledge of this INAUDIBLE ECHO situation?

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 12:24:35
Print Post

Re: SKY Quiet Line Test "Quiet; but there is an ECHO on the

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

An echo on a telephone line is normally caused by the 2 to 4 wire converter which also provides local feedback/confindence. It is often a small transformer with multiple taps. An echo canceller can be installed at the exchange but a lot depends on the level and delay.

As for inaudible - it may be that the test is run at a high frequency or is an ultra short pulse that you do not pick up on.

Will it cause problems with xDSL - possibly as the out of phase signal or delayed signal will effectively be "noise" on the line.

What happens to the speed if you just plug in to te test socket with NO phones or devices other than the modem/hub?

Ultimately though, it is a voice line fault and will need to be sorted by that provider.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 04-Apr-14 12:29:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks, MHC, for the fast response etc.

Where is this transformer located, at/around the consumer/NTE location; or elsewhere?

I will try to remember to take my corded phone, when I next visit - and try listening more carefully.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 12:38:30
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

It will be in the handset, or base station for a cordless. There will also be one at the exchange. There are solid-state versions of them too, but for a long time no one could match the tranformer qualitty and characteristics.

Have a read of this - just pulled up from Google. Not perfect but will give you some more info.
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/teleinterface.html and about 1/3rd down under Traditional transformer hybrid circuit is a diagram.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Fri 04-Apr-14 13:13:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

On the basis that the transformer is in either the (older) corded phones or in the Base Unit for otherwise cordless phones, then it would appear that whether the (silent) Echo exists or not, is highly dependent on the actual phone used for the QLT.

Another variable to consider!

Must check my old corded phone - young enough that it may be solid state; but unlikely.

That is quite a treatise, "transformer" is used 167 times in it, although the main gist appears to be around the second/third mention.

Thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to