General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hallam001
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 11:08:51
Print Post

Talk Talk's Next Generation Network

[link to this post]

I just had a letter from Talk Talk. It says that 'from 15th April 2014 your home will be connected to Talk Talk's Next Generation Network. With new equipment installed in your local exchange, your service will be running on the very latest technology. In fact, customers who have been recently connected have seen their speeds increase on average by 50%'. This work is to be carried out by BT engineers on Talk Talk's behalf.

Now, I have had a series of visits from Talk Talk and BT Open Reach engineers in the last few months and none of them has mentioned anything about this imminent change. Not a hint. Quite the opposite in fact, i.e. that BT owns all the equipment and that Talk Talk has no plans to change this state of affairs. Indeed in a recent email a member of the executive customer services team told me: 'In terms of the actual speed of the broadband this is provided via BT network as we do not have our equipment in the exchange and have no plans to do so at the moment.'

Can anyone throw any light on what this 'next generation network' might mean in practice? I am also due to have a further visit from a Talk Talk engineer to investigate regular breaks in internet service. With this change on the way, should I postpone this visit in case it solves the problem?

What a muddle!!

Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Apr-14 11:21:32
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk's Next Generation Network

[re: Hallam001] [link to this post]

If you do not have TalkTalk LLU at your exchange already the suggestion is that it is arriving and they are moving you onto that platform.

The talktalk non-llu service is known for poor speeds at peak times.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 07-Apr-14 11:46:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Or maybe WBC going in, and TT are going to start using it at full speed instead of 8Mbps cap?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Apr-14 12:30:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Maybe but they don't call that their next generation network usually.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Hallam001
(newbie) Tue 08-Apr-14 09:13:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick reply. I have certainly noticed that, under the current local setup, the drop-off in speed is very obvious at times when I'd predict heavy local usage.
  Print Thread

Jump to