General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Apr-14 17:56:20
Print Post

ADSLNation faceplate - going FTTC

[link to this post]

I've been very happy with my ADSLNation faceplate for years - but FTTC is coming my way thanks to BDUK.

I've read a number of posts on new faceplates/filters for vDSL and have to admit I'm still a bit confused.

Here's my setup - Master Socket (NTE5) is unfortunately in the loft. I installed an ADSLNation faceplate filter and have a long but quality RJ11 running to my study on the ground floor. I've tested a lot and there is no difference in SNR/errors/Attenuation/etc. using the TEST socket in the NTE5 or from my study via the RJ11 extension - so I'm happy my wiring for ADSL is as good as I can get.

When I move to FTTC I'm not sure what I have to change?
Will I be able to keep my faceplate? I've found TBB posts that say I can. I've checked the ADSLNation website and can't see the answer.

Are ADSL filters the same as vDSL ones? I understand the frequencies are different so perhaps not but I'm not sure...
I have no power in the loft so would prefer to keep the new modem/router in the study.

Thanks for any advice smile
Let me know if you need more details.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Apr-14 18:08:22
Print Post

Re: ADSLNation faceplate - going FTTC

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Yes you can keep the ADSL nation faceplate. Filtering is basically the same, but get it wrong and VDSL slows down a lot more than a poorly filtered ADSL2+ signal

Only issue I could see is if the ADSL faceplate is old and loft gets very hot and affects life span of components. Worst case just replace with a VDSL faceplate

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-Apr-14 18:20:02
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

Yes loft gets hot which is why I don't want to put any powered kit there.

Will I be able to just plug my RJ11 into a vDSL modem and go from there?
(I did run a CAT5 cable as well but intend to use that for something else)

Perhaps you could create (or point me to) an idiots guide?
I sort of know how ADSL works and can't find clear guidance for people to moving FTTC.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Apr-14 18:23:17
Print Post

All broadband filters are designed only to let phone frequencies through in both directions onto the phone side. The broadband side is straight through - not filtered. So as Andrew says, it should be fine.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 13-Apr-14 18:24:50
Print Post

A VDSL2 modem, yes. A VDSL2 router, (i.e. integral modem), you need to be careful unless it comes from your ISP.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 13-Apr-14 18:25:42)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 13-Apr-14 19:02:55
Print Post

Idiots guide you should be fine.

If worried over VDSL modem, then info on chosen ISP (most supply at least one) and bigger names do self-install i..e just post modem (which is usually with the router built in).

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stuartsharp
(newbie) Sun 13-Apr-14 19:05:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It depends on your provider. You can keep your existing plate if you self-install, but if it's to be done by an openreach engineer, they should insist on fitting one of their faceplates.

I'm presuming your socket is in the loft because you have an overhead line, therefore it's the nearest place to where the line enters the house? If that's so then it's best to keep the socket there and have a separate modem in the loft, with a long ethernet cable linking it to your desired router position. A combined modem/router wouldn't be best for you because you want the modem as close as possible to where the line comes in and the router in the best place for connecting other devices - two different places, in your case.

I wouldn't advise keeping your current setup with the long modem lead, because that's effectively making your VDSL line longer and possibly picking up noise from electrical wiring or equipment along the way - both of those things can be detrimental to the performance, as I know from experience: I recently improved both the speed and latency of my FTTC connection by simply moving the master socket 10m closer to where the line comes in. The reduction in length was negligible but the speed gains came from eliminating noise, thus allowing the DLM to switch my connection from interleaved to fastpath.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 13-Apr-14 23:42:13
Print Post

An ADSL filter will work on VDSL, whether it provides optimum performance is a different question.

The filter is designed to present a very low impedance to the voice frequencies thus allowing them to pass through to the handset. It also provides a high impedance to the ADSL frequencies stopping them reaching the handset and ensuring minimal attenuation or phase changing of those signals.

The ADSL filters were not designed to operate at the higher VDSL frequencies and could offer a low complex impedance at those frequencies which would have the effect of increasing the attenuation or modifying the signal quality - the result being that speeds are lower than they should be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 14-Apr-14 09:40:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Interesting that TBB regulars have slightly contradicted each other on the filtering query. It would be good to know one way or another if ADSL and VDSL filters are the same or not?

EDIT:
I see Clarity say there is no difference: https://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=1...

I've PM'd the ADSLNation chaps to see what they say...

Edited by b4dger (Mon 14-Apr-14 09:47:16)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Apr-14 10:05:10
Print Post

Among the poor quality filters that used to be common on the high street then component values were of the lower specification.

Filters that met or exceeded the specification should be fine.

There are an awful lot of caveats and maybe that can be applied, but if I had self install and had an ADSLNation faceplate I'd be happy using it.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to