General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kingbiscit
(learned) Wed 16-Apr-14 09:37:46
Print Post

Can anyone understand this cabinet setup (map)

[link to this post]

Hello

I live on Winwick Park in Warrington. The estate was built just over 10 years ago and was originally using a TPON setup but BT converted to Copper so people could get ADSL. The estate was connected to the main Warrington exchange so ADSL speeds are very slow.

My house WA28HD is according to DSL Checker connected to cab 210. But... Connecting Cheshire have no record of 210 and don't plan on upgrading it to FTTC.

I decided to try and map the cabinet setup using a mix of Google Maps and DSL Checker tool. Can anyone make sense of the setup?

http://digitalblahblah.com/temp/winwick_park.jpg

The numbers above the addresses are according to DSL Checker the cab the property is connected to. But I can't actually find any of these cabs on the estate. I have marked on in blue any cabs I can find on the estate.

Any help/pointers much appreciated.

Edited by kingbiscit (Wed 16-Apr-14 09:46:06)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Apr-14 09:51:26
Print Post

Re: Can anyone understand this cabinet map

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

My betting is that the grey TPON cabinets are effectively redundant or just serving those properties that have never ordered ADSL2+.

I think there is possibly some network rearrangement underway, or the BT wholesale checker is giving funny data.

Warrington exchange only has around 129 cabinets, and other databases show for example that WA2 8XE is split between P88 and PP118 (double PP is NOT a typo)

Don't quote cabinets but rather full addresses when talking to Connecting Cheshire as believe some addresses are to be served via the project in that area.

WA2 8HD is split over two cabinets, PP120 and P88 and it (8% chance your home is in the Cheshire project)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 16-Apr-14 09:52:03
Print Post

Re: Can anyone understand this cabinet setup (map)

Its got confusing because the cabs have been renumbered and 120 is now known as 210

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kingbiscit
(learned) Wed 16-Apr-14 09:58:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
My betting is that the grey TPON cabinets are effectively redundant or just serving those properties that have never ordered ADSL2+.

I think there is possibly some network rearrangement underway, or the BT wholesale checker is giving funny data.

Warrington exchange only has around 129 cabinets, and other databases show for example that WA2 8XE is split between P88 and PP118 (double PP is NOT a typo)

Don't quote cabinets but rather full addresses when talking to Connecting Cheshire as believe some addresses are to be served via the project in that area.

WA2 8HD is split over two cabinets, PP120 and P88 and it (8% chance your home is in the Cheshire project)

Thanks Andrew that makes a lot of sense, don't like the sound on 8% chance though frown
Standard User kingbiscit
(learned) Wed 16-Apr-14 10:01:34
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Its got confusing because the cabs have been renumbered and 120 is now known as 210

Interesting. Still don't understand why DSL checker tools is bringing back so many different cabs e.g. 122, 124, 208, 209 and 210?
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Wed 16-Apr-14 10:17:34
Print Post

208 was 117 , Chesterfield drive
209 was 118 , winwick park ave
210 was 120 , hollins lane.
124 Beckett drive
122 browning drive
Standard User kingbiscit
(learned) Wed 16-Apr-14 10:18:25
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
208 was 117 , Chesterfield drive
209 was 118 , winwick park ave
210 was 120 , hollins lane.
124 Beckett drive
122 browning drive

Brilliant, thanks for this smile
Standard User kingbiscit
(learned) Thu 24-Apr-14 13:09:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

What does 'PP' mean? e.g. PP120.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Apr-14 16:15:13
Print Post

P stands for PCP meaning cabinet.

Why PP no idea, someone pressed P twice once

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kingbiscit
(learned) Fri 20-Jun-14 10:01:08
Print Post

Just walked to the bottom of my road and BT are busy installing a new cabinet. Looks like the grey ones are being ripped out and being replaced with standard cabs. Then a FTTC cab is going to be installed.

I'm a happy man!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to