General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaba
(learned) Fri 18-Apr-14 12:12:18
Print Post

Plusnet current line speed

[link to this post]

I am another one who is getting fed up with Plusnet's artificial line speed cap aka current line speed. I have to ask Plusnet much too often to correct mine to allow me to get the correct download speed from my sync rate.

I have been trying to get PN to change my CLS because it is consistently stuck below my sync speed. At last after over a week of trying via a ticket they looked at my sync speed of 5.3 and changed my CLS to 5.3 as well a day or two ago. Today it has gone back to 4.6 !!!!
Why? My line is good and stable with no loss of connection unless I resync myself.
Despite the fact that I am on 21CN my ip profile is stuck at 4.14 where it has been for over a week, this despite PN saying on the 11th that they had reset my line.

The biggest problem with PN tickets is that there is always a delay of 2-3 days between each action which adds to the frustration. And there is always a wait of 30 mins if I want to phone them.

I think it is time to look around for another isp. This would be a shame as I have been with them since the first days of ADSL. But if they cannot sort a simple issue like this quickly then why should I stay loyal any longer.

Can anyone clarify what this CLS should represent : the sync speed, download/throughput speed, the ip profile or some other value derived from a secret formula devised by Plusnet.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Apr-14 14:15:12
Print Post

Re: Plusnet current line speed

[re: jaba] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jaba:
Can anyone clarify what this CLS should represent : the sync speed, download/throughput speed, the ip profile or some other value derived from a secret formula devised by Plusnet.
The IP Profile rounded down slightly.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Apr-14 15:40:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

And on WBC ADSL2+ the IP Profile is 88.2% of the sync.

Edit - so the IP Profile for 5300kbps is 4.67Mbps. CLS possibly 4.66Mbps. Looking at the OP, I'd be very surprised if the IP Profile is still 4.14Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 18-Apr-14 15:44:14)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Apr-14 15:46:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, and? Your 'And' is a non-sequitur. I wasn't defining IPP but CLS as asked.

Your edit proves my definition.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Apr-14 16:01:54
Print Post

It wasn't redundant, in that by ignoring it my post is indeed strange in being a reply to your post. "and" as in "in addition to that ...", for the OP's information. From all his previous posts he seems unaware as late as 2013 that the IP Profile system is no longer banded. I forgot to say it doesn't have a several day delay either smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jaba
(learned) Fri 18-Apr-14 21:02:32
Print Post

Thanks for the input guys. My exchange went 21CN 3 months ago. Prior to that I had to wait several days for the profile to update. From my observations since then the profile moves very quickly with any sync speed change.
Until now that is. Both TBB speedtests and ip profile are 4.1x even though sync is 5312 and has been for days now.

But my current line speed is 4.6 which is 86.5% of my 5312 sync rate. This does not tally with the suggestion that the CLS is slightly more than the ip profile (assuming it is 88.2% of sync)

Update: Just completed another BT speedtest : [IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/jbuk/btiptst1...[/IMG]
It is not telling the truth though because a TBB speedtest still runs at 4.1x and 3.9x for the multiple thread test.

Something is not quite right here there is no consistency between sync speed, ip profile and PN's annoying CLS.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 18-Apr-14 21:25:36
Print Post

What AV/FW system are you running?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Apr-14 22:26:30
Print Post

This does not tally with the suggestion that the CLS is slightly more than the ip profile
Reread! I said slightly less!

Standard User jaba
(learned) Fri 18-Apr-14 23:07:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
What AV/FW system are you running?

AV = Avast free
FW = Privatefirewall

What do you make of the d/load speed being more than the ip profile ?? The test looks a bit flaky to me.
Standard User jaba
(learned) Fri 18-Apr-14 23:09:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
This does not tally with the suggestion that the CLS is slightly more than the ip profile
Reread! I said slightly less!

Grovel grovel you are of course correct sir.
But what about the BT speedtest anomaly ?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to