General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Fumbledore
(newbie) Sat 19-Apr-14 18:38:24
Print Post

Network improvement.

[link to this post]

I'm connected via box 19 to the THCW exchange. Box 19 does have a FIbre Green box attached to it, but the speed quoted to me is 2.5Mb. If the cable were to follow along the road from the box to my house then according to the TB chart, I should receive something in the area of 10-12Mb. Guess then the cable does not take the most expeditious route. Would Openrereach install a new box somewhere nearer the premises who are attached to box 19 to allow for an improved service, or does the fact that we are connected to a Fibre enabled box mean that we are stuck in the slow lane forever?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Apr-14 19:02:20
Print Post

Re: Network improvement.

[re: Fumbledore] [link to this post]

I'm afraid you are stuck.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Fumbledore
(newbie) Sat 19-Apr-14 19:08:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks. Guess that would be the case.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-Apr-14 19:08:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Not forever but for the next few years probably

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Fastman2
(regular) Sat 19-Apr-14 19:42:14
Print Post

or you could fund a new box prvitaley with openreach via your community if their was enough interest -see openreach FAQ Rural Broadband
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 20-Apr-14 09:51:33
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Fastman2:
or you could fund a new box prvitaley with openreach via your community if their was enough interest -see openreach FAQ Rural Broadband

Indeed. A cabinet that I am interested in apparently only has 40 subscribers. Openreach will provide a FTTC twin if £20,000 is lobbed their way. At best there is only 10 users of broadband connected to that cabinet so you need a deep pockets to find £2000 each or one large organisation desperate for improved communications paying the whole amount.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Apr-14 10:00:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is it situations like this (long distance to green cab) where FTTRN would help if it takes off?
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/6373-progress-rep...

Standard User Fumbledore
(newbie) Sun 20-Apr-14 13:02:00
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Now FTTRN sounds like a solution. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and so get what's left of any signal which is not very much. Being a cul-de-sac all the cables down the street pass through an enormous manhole at the top of the street. Sounds like an ideal location for FTTRN!
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sun 20-Apr-14 14:00:42
Print Post

Sounds like a terrible place as day to day access to the equipment will be a big issue .
  Print Thread

Jump to