General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User olibt
(newbie) Wed 23-Apr-14 13:43:07
Print Post

In need of a Good Short term Broadband provider (tesco?)

[link to this post]

I recently moved to the UK and I will be here for 5 months.

There is an inactive phone line in my flat that I'm trying to get re-activated for the cheapest price possible as I want to make it worth.

Tesco seemed to be my cheapest option. For some reason they can remotely reactivate my line and I don't understand how since ZEN and PLUSNET apparently have to send a technician in order to do it. Should I trust their ability to do so ? Also, are they an alright provider ? I wont be extremely picky.... as long as I can download torrents at decent speeds ( 500 kb/s +) and stream HD content.

Plusnet want to charge me 50£ for the installation + 25£ since I want to go on month to month contract.

I called ZEN and they ask 118£ for instalation and an extra 40£ for the setup.

Mobile broadband seemed like a good option but I need around 50GB a month and no provider (apart EE at 50£/month 12months) seemed to offer enough data.

If you have other suggestios please let me know.

Thank you very much !!
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 23-Apr-14 19:12:15
Print Post

Re: In need of a Good Short term Broadband provider (tesco?)

[re: olibt] [link to this post]

As far as I know whichever ISP/service provider you choose has to get BT Openreach to activate the line and they get charged by Openreach for doing so, it's up to the ISP to decide how much of this they pass on to the customer in actual cash costs combined with length of contract.
Do you now the name of the exchange the line is connected to, if not try this http://www.samknows.com/exchange_search and let us know.

http://www.cable.co.uk/guides/is-tesco-broadband-any...

I don't know anyone who uses Tesco for BB so can't comment on how good/bad the service is they provide.

plusnet user
Standard User olibt
(newbie) Wed 23-Apr-14 22:47:21
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Here it is :

Exchange name: Blackfriars
Exchange code: MRBLA

Thanks a lot !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 23-Apr-14 23:23:28
Print Post

Check the Post Office for the phone line. If that suits you, there are many ISPs offering monthly contracts. Vivaciti, Aquiss, Xilo/uno, Zen, IDNet, Freeola being examples. It's only the big boys that want long ones, and of those Plusnet do offer monthly at a slightly high cost.

I've a feeling Plusnet may be even cheaper, particularly if you can get cashback, but their website is down for maintenance at the moment.
Am I likely to notice the work?
You may do, yes. Our website will be unavailable between 11:00pm tonight through to 7:00am tomorrow morning (Thursday 25th) and holding pages will be in place.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 23-Apr-14 23:24:39)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Apr-14 09:13:33
Print Post

Tesco? Read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27131319

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Apr-14 19:26:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Am I likely to notice the work?
You may do, yes. Our website will be unavailable between 11:00pm tonight through to 7:00am tomorrow morning (Thursday 25th) and holding pages will be in place.

Someone in PN got the date/day wrong as the 24th of April is a Thursday. smile

plusnet user
  Print Thread

Jump to