General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davey_b
(newbie) Tue 29-Apr-14 11:52:57
Print Post

Moving to EE from BT speed question

[link to this post]

We live out in the sticks and are about 1 1/2 - 2 miles from our exchange. We've been with BT since we moved in but I'm thinking of moving to EE. The concern I have is that the speed of our broadband will go down if we do that. When you go onto samknows and use the broadband checker it says:

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max

When I put my number in here: http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

it tells me downstream range for ADSL max is 1 - 3.5mbps however when I check the line from my PC or phone I'm getting 5mbps. I'm happy with 5mbps and don't want to go down much if I can help it so my question is if I'm getting 5mbps with BT is it likely that I'll get the same with EE?

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Apr-14 12:24:13
Print Post

Re: Moving to EE from BT speed question

[re: davey_b] [link to this post]

Yes, and no.

Yes, the connection speed will be the same. No if EE have not rented adequate throughput capacity from BT Wholesale as that could cause congestion and slow down your actual speed at busy times.

I don't follow the EE forum on this site. I suggest you have a browse through it.

EE broadband doesn't really exist - it is what is called a White Label service from BT Wholesale so they don't have their own routers and access/peering to the web. BT Wholesale handle it all. EE just sell it.

It seems to have a decent reputation. I'm not criticising it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User davey_b
(newbie) Tue 29-Apr-14 12:29:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that info.

It's a fairly small exchange covering a rural area so I can't imagine there's a lot of issues with traffic congestion so I think I'd likely get the same sort of speed.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Apr-14 14:07:10
Print Post

[re: davey_b] [link to this post]

You should get same connection speeds from EE as from BT as they both sell the same BTw products. However 20CN ADSL Max exchanges tend to be congested, affecting your actual throughput at diff times of the day, and EE might not buy as much capacity as BT. There's no way of knowing until you actually get connected. Staying with BT would be insurance, possibly at a price.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to