General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Beevee
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 18:54:48
Print Post

What do I need?

[link to this post]

I am shortly returning to the UK and will live in Wales, probably in Llanelli.

I am at a complete loss to understand what requirements I need for internet connection with wi-fi and the use of Skype, rather than the use of a telephone line.

This may be the first of many questions I have, so if I am not in the right thread or forum, please advise me where to go.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 03-May-14 19:01:48
Print Post

Re: What do I need?

[re: Beevee] [link to this post]

Llanelli has no cable broadband, which is the main option for those who want broadband and no need for a phone line.

This means you are mainly looking at ADSL2+ or FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet) solutions

ADSL2+ starts at around £3.50 per month up to 24 Mbps depending on distance to exchange (central office)
FTTC starts at around £13.50 per month up to 80 Mbps depending on the price you pay and distance to the cabinet

BUT both have the requirement to take a telephone line rental product at £11 to £16 per month

If high speeds are important then location is the key since speeds will vary across the town.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Beevee
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 19:10:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Wow! That was quick.

Actually, I have no fixed place at the moment and will be looking for rented accommodation.

It appears FTTC is what I will need at around £30 per month. I'm looking to take the SKY Sports package which offers about 80 channels plus sport and free (BBC. ITV, etc) I presume their fee of about £32.50 per month must be added to that?

Would FTTC give me Skype and Wi-fi. It's important that I remain in touch with a sick family member 24/24

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-May-14 19:56:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Beevee:
It appears FTTC is what I will need at around £30 per month. I'm looking to take the SKY Sports package which offers about 80 channels plus sport and free (BBC. ITV, etc) I presume their fee of about £32.50 per month must be added to that?

Would FTTC give me Skype and Wi-fi. It's important that I remain in touch with a sick family member 24/24

Decent ADSL2+ can give perfectly adequate Skype speeds, it depends on your distance from the exchange. It will also give you wifi.

If you want Sky TV then you might as well get everything from them as their broadband is competitive.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 03-May-14 19:57:49)

Standard User Beevee
(newbie) Sat 03-May-14 20:15:03
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

Decent ADSL2+ can give perfectly adequate Skype speeds, it depends on your distance from the exchange. It will also give you wifi.

If you want Sky TV then you might as well get everything from them as their broadband is competitive.

Thanks.

I'm in Canada.

You quote broadband, which a previous member stated was not yet in Wales. I guess you were using it as a 'term of phrase' and that they supply FTTC also?

As I am not conversant with UK systems, it's a bit difficult for me to follow at the moment but all SKY seems the way to go. Which means they also supply telephones now?
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 03-May-14 20:32:00
Print Post

You quote broadband, which a previous member stated was not yet in Wales. I guess you were using it as a 'term of phrase' and that they supply FTTC also?

As I am not conversant with UK systems, it's a bit difficult for me to follow at the moment but all SKY seems the way to go. Which means they also supply telephones now?

Broadband incorporates both ADSL2+ and fibre (FTTC). Both are available in Wales, although availability varies with location.

Sky sell TV (satellite), telephone and broadband (both ADSL2+ and FTTC).

Their main competitors are BT and Talktalk, so look at all three websites and compare.

Edit: some areas also have cable tv/broadband/phone, look at Virgin Media for details.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 03-May-14 20:34:29)

Standard User FelixTCat
(committed) Sat 03-May-14 22:36:54
Print Post

Be aware that most telephone and internet providers require a minimum 12 month (and sometimes 18 month) contract and will charge cancellation fees if you want to leave early. You MAY be able to transfer the services to a new location without a cancellation charge with some providers. If you are likely to be in your rental for less than 12 months your options are more limited.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 03-May-14 22:37:08
Print Post

Do you mean a wifi connection from your computer to your router, or free access to wifi hotspots when travelling around?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 06-May-14 08:02:57
Print Post

You quote broadband, which a previous member stated was not yet in Wales

Just to clarify, MrS said there was no "cable broadband" in that area. Cable is a type of broadband. Broadband though is any service above a particular speed (and that definition depends on which country you are in as there can be many different definitions).

For what you want to do ADSL or FTTC will suffice. FTTC will give you better speeds and allow you to do more quicker. If you can afford it then it is worth it but be careful when renting as most FTTC products have an 18 months minimum term.

As far as WiFi goes that is a function of the router and not the connection. Any Internet connection can have a WiFi router added to it. Most ISPs will give you a free router and I am not aware of any that don't have WiFi on them. If you go with an ISP that doesn't have a free router then there are plenty out there and people here can advise.
  Print Thread

Jump to