General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spitfire400
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 12:48:31
Print Post

Moving From Sky to BT

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I felt it was a general query that I had so decided to post here in the General Forum. If the post needs moved, by all means. Perhaps Fibre Broadband?

I signed up to Fibre Unlimited with Sky on 28/02/14. My intention at the time was to leave and go to BT when contract expired, however got given a discount and a promise of Pro being available with Sky so stayed. Two months in roughly and speeds had stuck at 32Mbps down & 6.3Mbps, ping around 35-40ms.

Called to upgrade to Pro, only to be told that it would only give an increase in bandwidth to 33.1Mbps. I have no idea how they arrived at this figure, and most staff I spoke to explained it as being the line we have that was causing it. I can post router stats if this would help explain it to any knowledgeable folks on here.

Long story short, due to problems with promises not being upheld, Sky agreed to cancel ETFs on account. Due now to go live on Infinity 2 on 27th of this month. At point of sale they quoted speed range between 56Mbps & 76Mbps. Question is, will they be able to provide a minimum line speed of 56Mbps?

I have called and asked staff at BT, who assure me they can provide speed between this range, and there is no minimum line speed on Infinity 2 that they have to provide, as they will give us between 56 & 76. Is this correct?

I look forward to any helpful information that can be given.

Have used the Maximum adsl speed calculator on kitz and get 1.9km length when entering 26.6db attenuation
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 13-May-14 13:23:19
Print Post

Re: Moving From Sky to BT

[re: Spitfire400] [link to this post]

Use this instead http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.addres...

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 18:46:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Here is the result, copied and pasted while out and about :
FTTC Range A (Clean) 74.5 56 20 17.4 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 65.3 36.5 20 11.9 -- Available

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 13-May-14 18:49:58
Print Post

As you can see the actual range is between 36 and 75.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 18:51:59
Print Post

Very strange that sky would only be able to push 33.1Mb then, even on their £30pcm pro offering. Confirms they are poor in certain areas for pro perhaps.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 13-May-14 18:55:13
Print Post

To be honest, 36 isn't much different.

(newbie) Tue 13-May-14 19:07:25
Print Post

Is that not what speed would be for fibre unlimited though? I would have thought the results would indicate sky should be able to offer up to 76MBps? They were saying on pro we would only get 33, nowhere near the 54 being quoted by BT
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 13-May-14 19:18:30
Print Post

Those speeds quoted by the dslchecker are regardless of the package - fibre, fibre pro, Infinity 1, 2 - or the ISP - BT, Sky.

If you currently don't get 40, you're unlikely to get any higher that what you get now.

Print Thread

Jump to