General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JB68
(regular) Tue 13-May-14 22:25:29
Print Post

Sky On Demand Speed

[link to this post]

Hi,

Is Sky On Demand limited to a certain speed?

I have 80/20 but only getting about 12-13mbps while using Sky On Demand, It was on wireless but switched to homeplugs and got the same speed.

Anyone get faster?

Thanks
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-May-14 08:32:15
Print Post

Re: Sky On Demand Speed

[re: JB68] [link to this post]

Do you mean the video streaming? If so, then it will go as fast as the stream needs to within the bandwidth and 12-13Mbps is I believe plenty to do HD. I think I remember seeing in the past that some of the HD channels on Sky only stream at about 5Mbps over satellite.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-May-14 08:34:55
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Sky satellite signal is generally in the 9 to 13 Mbps region

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-May-14 08:37:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

OK, I'm fairly sure some channels were heavily squeezed and caused a lot of complaints about HD quality.

However, the speeds you quote pretty much exactly match the on demand speeds of the OP in which case it seems that these are HD speeds and the On Demand is running as fast as it needs to for the content.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-May-14 08:37:57
Print Post

On Demand on the Sky+HD box I presume?

In which case the films don't stream they are downloaded to the box, but you can start to play once the first fraction is available. This is a different algorithm to NOW TV, Sky Go etc

To see a speed limit like that is no surprise, may sites offering large files and with films at 1 to 3 GB they count as large, limit the speed a single user can suck data at to avoid someone with a fast connection slowing down everyone else.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-May-14 08:39:27
Print Post

I had forgotten Sky downloads to the box separately but On Demand could be the PC app. Need to know what the OP is meaning by on demand as it covers a number of possibilities.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-May-14 08:42:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Sky satellite signal is generally in the 9 to 13 Mbps region
But their On Demand stuff runs a lot lower. An hour's HD usually only occupies 1.5GB of disk space (so around 5Mb/s). From my experience it doesn't download at full speed either.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-May-14 08:50:11
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Have not tried the on demand since having a line that runs at 24 Meg. Don't have the spare time.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-May-14 08:51:19
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The Sky Go service can also download for later playback on tablets and phones.

Suspect they mean the Sky+HD box though, confirmation will help

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-May-14 10:05:14
Print Post

Think mine downloads at about 8-10Mbps. But it doesn't matter, it only needs to download a little faster than needed to play.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Broadband:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to