General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RossMcG
(newbie) Thu 15-May-14 13:46:44
Print Post

ADSL Bonding Multiple Lines

[link to this post]

I have seen a few posts on here mentioning "bonding multiple lines" and I decided to have a little internet search about this. I got a bit bamboozled though with all the technical info and lack of actual info I was wondering. So thought I would ask here.

Is this available for long EO lines or is it solely a street cabinet option?
Is this a viable soloution to increase current speeds?
Is there an unlimited supplier out there?
Are there all in one packages available (ie you pay one company a monthly price for everything including line rental, BB and the bonding service)

None of the sites I looked at actualy gave a clear ball park figure of the overall costs per line, doe s anyone have any ideas to this?

I have a feeling this wont be a viable soloution for me, but I really would like more information and perhaps a few opinions.

Every day is a school day smile

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-May-14 14:43:53
Print Post

Re: ADSL Bonding Multiple Lines

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

It is possible over ADSL

http://www.aaisp.co.uk/kb-broadband-bonding.html

Needs two lines with them and the price of the firebrick hardware (start at £420 to handle the bonding), so best way is to chase a quote.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RossMcG
(newbie) Thu 15-May-14 15:08:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That sure isn't cheap. No where mentioned that part of the process (unless I missed it) So really isnt much of a viable option. I had a look here: http://www.eclipse.net.uk/bonded-dsl/product-and-pri... and it is really expensive. Looks like that option is out the windoow. Sure wouldnt be worth the oulay to only double the current speed.

I am now all out of options so I shall just make do with what I have, a lot of people in worse situations so I cant really grumble, after all at least I can use netflix etc (all be it poor quality), which is more than some can do.

One last question though, and not thread related but really dont want to spam the forums as they are so helpful.

If a fibre enabled cabinet is within say 150 meters from a property is it possible to get fibre on demand when not connected to said cabinet (currently on a EO line)?

I think I already know the anser will be no.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-May-14 15:18:43
Print Post

Not currently, but who knows what might be the case in 15 years.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Thu 15-May-14 15:23:45
Print Post

Could just use a Mikrotik to balance the load between two lines. Not quite the same as true bonding though.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Broadband:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-May-14 15:43:29
Print Post

Your biggest confusion may be that line bonding, and load balancing with two lines, are not the same thing. Bonding is expensive. Load balancing much less so.

For many of us, (I know little about either), load balancing seems to be more appropriate anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RossMcG
(newbie) Thu 15-May-14 16:24:40
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies, Ill do some reasearch iinto load balancing. learning a lot.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 15-May-14 16:25:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Line Bonding means a Netflix stream will run at faster speeds.

Load Balancing means you can watch Netflix at a the slower quality levels but other traffic will favour the quieter connection, i.e. you can do more, but would not improve video quality if that is all you were doing

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-May-14 11:38:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

PCC load balancing I was playing about with the other day will improve anything that uses more than one TCP/IP connection. Therefore if Netflix use more than one connection this would see an improvement.

It doesn't always work as expected though. When I streamed two shows on BBC iPlayer they both used the same connection, but they streamed ok.

Loading a large website like dailymail.co.uk uses both connections as there are multiple sources and multiple TCP/IP connections.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Broadband:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Benjanyan
(regular) Sun 18-May-14 21:16:24
Print Post

If you've got an old machine lying around and network cards, I quite like pfSense. My parents have two connections load balanced via pfSense.

They're with separate ISPs and I didn't have much luck bonding two vtun connections together with linux machines.
  Print Thread

Jump to