General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Wo0x
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 01:03:58
Print Post

Advice On ADSL Fault Please.

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm looking for advice/opinions on my current ADSL fault. I'll try to keep this as short as possible, but fear it may become a wall of text.

Summary - I've gone from having a perfect line that never dropped and had zero errors, to a line that is now disconnecting anywhere between 2-8 times a day with a couple thousand CRC, FEC and HEC errors over the same period. Every time the line gets reset, the SNR target, like clockwork, increases each day until it gets to 15db. My ISP (Plusnet) say
After a more advanced test we can see the line is initialising a lot more often than it shows on the radius logs.

History of the fault(s) - My exchange was upgraded to 21CN in December, everything looked good, no disconnections, very few errors and it held sync at 3db SNR. A few weeks later I started to notice packet loss (up to 25% at times.) At this point I reported a fault to Plusnet.

An engineer arrived and concluded the line within my home was perfect. After complaining some more it became apparent other customers were experiencing the same and so a common fault was raised against the exchange. After investigation they concluded that there was nothing obvious at the exchange that could be causing my issues, but the packet loss magically disappeared!

However, it was at this point I started to see more errors, disconnections and some odd SNR readings on my router (and two other routers I tried.) By odd I mean 0db and on one of them SNR showed as -51db (minus.)

Every engineer that has visited has said the line inside my home is perfect. One found an issue on overhead cabling when conducting a hawk test. He fixed that. Same issues in the days after he left.
The most recent engineer to visit checked every overhead connection up to the point that the cables go underground to the exchange (I'm on an exchange only line.) He found that the cable was 'badly corroded,' he fixed that. Same issues in the days after he left.

This is incredibly frustrating, as I said, this has been going on since January. Plusnet ticket response isn't nearly as fast as it has been previously, in fact I haven't heard from them since Monday when I told them what happened with the last engineer visit.

This leads me to my questions - I've seen AAISP's 'guarantee' of getting faults fixed. Are they really better than other ISPs at chasing up Openreach and getting results? Would ordering a broadband only line from them bypass the issues I'm having with the current line, or would I likely have the same problem, but be £125 worse off?

So, in short, should I keep waiting to see if Plusnet can get this fixed or should I look to switch ISPs? If you think switching is worthwhile, with or without a new line?

I look forward to your thoughts, thanks for reading,

Wo0x.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-May-14 07:22:35
Print Post

Re: Advice On ADSL Fault Please.

[re: Wo0x] [link to this post]

now disconnecting anywhere between 2-8 times a day with a couple thousand CRC, FEC and HEC errors over the same period. Every time the line gets reset, the SNR target, like clockwork, increases each day until it gets to 15db.

Have any of the engineers, or in fact Plusnet, mentioned REIN ? If you have a good line, the exchange has been looked at then this may be a cause. Any chance of seeing some line stats please ?

Standard User Wo0x
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 17:00:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Have any of the engineers, or in fact Plusnet, mentioned REIN ?

The most recent engineer did mention REIN, but wasn't convinced it was the issue as there was no pattern to the disconnects. The only pattern is a 3db SNR increase each day after an SNR reset.

Any chance of seeing some line stats please ?

ADSL Uptime 0 days 7 hours 22 minutes 45 seconds

Modulation : ADSL2+
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 5882578
Lan Rx : 3046070
ADSL Tx : 69154
ADSL Rx : 79749
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 84
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 124
HEC Down : 60
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 6.3
SNR Down : 14.5
Line Attenuation Up : 13.8
Line Attenuation Down : 21.0
Data Rate Up : 1127
Data Rate Down : 11925

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 17-May-14 18:59:37
Print Post

Slow! Should be getting nearly 20 Meg. Speed probably being damped by that 14.5 dB NM. but ...
In reply to a post by Wo0x:
ADSL Uptime 0 days 7 hours 22 minutes 45 seconds
What was the Target NM 7 hours 22 minutes 45 seconds ago? That's what matters; the NM at sync-time.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Wo0x
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 19:06:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
What was the Target NM 7 hours 22 minutes 45 seconds ago? That's what matters; the NM at sync-time.

15db, it works its way back to that after every reset over the course of three days.

Highest sync I've seen is 19, shortly after the exchange was upgraded. This was with SNR at 3db.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-May-14 07:31:09
Print Post

That doesn't look like an excessive amount of errors for the uptime, that said, they seem mainly to be on the upstream. I tend to think that if it's mainly upstream errors you see the fault lies with the DSLAM port. Have you had a lift and shift done ? As in a new port allocated to your circuit ?

Standard User Wo0x
(newbie) Sun 18-May-14 16:54:19
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

They performed a lift and shift when I first complained of packet loss, the disconnections and SNR increase followed that. Do you think it's likely in trying to fix one issue they gave me another?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14004...

Edited by Wo0x (Sun 18-May-14 18:28:10)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-May-14 22:40:58
Print Post

Possibly ?

Standard User NeoLojik
(learned) Mon 19-May-14 00:41:08
Print Post

If it's any help at all:

I had a similar issue a couple of years ago. Huge chunks of time where the line was useless, CRC errors, SNR drops, desyncs, the works. Finally got an Openreach engineer out who did some tests and proclaimed it fixed.

Nuh-huh.

Managed to get a second engineer out who found the fault almost immediately. The line had a high-resistance fault. He said the first engineer shouldn't have missed that under any circumstances. Engineer performed an E-side shift and the line has been solid since.

Was with AAISP at the time who were great about getting it sorted. If you've got an issue, they *will* get it fixed.

Edited by NeoLojik (Mon 19-May-14 00:41:30)

Standard User Wo0x
(newbie) Mon 19-May-14 03:28:54
Print Post

[re: NeoLojik] [link to this post]

Thanks, other threads on 'high-resistance faults' sound familiar, ie funny SNR readings.

Was with AAISP at the time who were great about getting it sorted. If you've got an issue, they *will* get it fixed.

I'm very tempted to switch, as I've said, I'm really frustrated that this has been going on since January and Plusnet ticket response isn't what it used to be.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to