General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rockyplace
(newbie) Sat 17-May-14 15:28:43
Print Post

I think this is a stitch-up

[link to this post]

I am with TalkTalk for my phone and NewNet/Timico for my Broadband.
My broadband went down on Tuesday [has been twitchy for a long time] NewNet did a line test and found a battery contact fault. I have spent a majority of the intervening time listening to the TalkTalk ‘team’ reading their scripts asking me if my phone is working properly and since it is; washing their hands of any responsibility. Talktalk have, supposedly, done line test[s] - which took 54 hours [giving varied promises/denials along the way] which they say prove the line is ok.
So here I am, in an internet cafe asking H E L P.
Do I cut my losses and leave both suppliers. ID Net and EE look good.
Newnet are trying to see what they can do but the system is designed [stitched up] in such a way that the ISP cannot contact either OpenReach or the line provider directly whilst the “customer/mug” is paying for a service not received and doing much of work to try to co-ordinate a solution.
Ofcom have told me that it is the broadband provider’s responsibility to repair the service but how can they when the provider on which the service is dependant will not co-operate? Ofcom also provided me with 2 companies who wanted to sign me up to Sky or Plusnet for which presumably they would have received a fee – hardly impartial. Some Watchdog!
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-May-14 15:51:26
Print Post

Re: I think this is a stitch-up

[re: rockyplace] [link to this post]

ok 2 different separate things to check.

1) The phone
2) The broadband

you can skip the home wiring by testing all from the test socket in your house

* Plug just the phone into the test socket.
* Make sure you can call out and call in. If there are any problems doing so then the phone line is possibly at fault.
* Borrow someone else's phone and repeat. If this still does not allow correct calls in & out, then the phone line is at fault and you need talk talk to fix.
* When you make the calls, do you get any popping or other non call noises on the line. If you do then the phone line is faulty

* Try the broadband connection in the test socket without the phone. Do not use a Filter
* Check this makes a connection and attaches to the Internet. You can see this from the routers web interface
* You know the physical telephone line is ok, as you have just tested this, so if it does not connect then its possibly the router
* Default the router (make sure you have the settings) and reset it up and retest. If you still fail to connect then it could be the router or it may be a fault at the BB provider.
* Get a loan router from a mate and set for your BB provider. If this works then its your router at fault, if it is still broken then its the BB provider and you need to get them to reset fix their equipment. (note: it can take 10-30mins to kick in so be patient)
* If the BB router is working, try your BB splitter filter now. This checks the filter is ok or not. You can plug the filter into the test socket and the BB into the filter. Do not put the phone in yet.
* If this works then put the faceplate on and test that with just the BB router. This checks the face plate, home wiring is working.
* Again add the filter now. If this filter stops the BB from working then you need a new one.
* Finally add in the phone. If now it fails you have a problem with the Phone/BB router together causing a fault. Time for a new one of these.

Hope that helps.

IanD
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-May-14 16:12:39
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Just one obsevation, the OP will have dificulties in connecting their modem directly to the test jack as the RJ11 wont fit, into the standard bt phone socket, they would need something like RJ11 to BT scocket adaptor
But there's no need as they can just use the adsl plug in filter, because the dsl side of it isnt filtered , plugged in to the test socket

IMO if this is affecting the BB only , there are no noises like cracking ect whilst using the phone, then it should be regarded as a DSL fault, and it's down to your isp, to rais a fault with BT openreach
If there is an audible issue then that is a PTSN (Voice ) fault, and your telephony provider is responsible for reporting it to BT openreach on your behalf

If your isp can detect a battery fault at the exchange that is impacting the DSL service they provide to you, then why won't they report it to bt ? seems like both are trying to pass the buck, Either switch suppliers or start a formal complaint, e-mails to the boss man/woman to begin with, if no joy they leave one or both of them

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-May-14 07:44:04
Print Post

It seems odd that Newnet say the line tests battery contact, but Talktalk have not detected this. The reason being that this is a 'no brainer' for either CP, if they record battery contact, an LN fault, they can just issue it straight to Openreach, end of.

Even if no fault is detected, either CP can raise a fault, Talktalk a CDTA (conscious decision to appoint) or Newnet an SFI (special fault investigation). Either of these *may* result in charges to the CP from Openreach, and I suggest that this may be the cause of their reticence.

I'd have to say, since it's your broadband that you have issue with, then it's Newnet you should be chasing. And yes, I'd agree it seems like a stitch up.

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 18-May-14 12:53:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by rockyplace:
Newnet are trying to see what they can do but the system is designed [stitched up] in such a way that the ISP cannot contact either OpenReach or the line provider directly whilst the “customer/mug” is paying for a service not received and doing much of work to try to co-ordinate a solution.
Ofcom have told me that it is the broadband provider’s responsibility to repair the service

Well how do every other isp get openreach to fix faults then......

Sounds like your isp needs a kick up the backside.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
To Infinity
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User rockyplace
(newbie) Tue 20-May-14 07:14:21
Print Post

[re: JohnR] [link to this post]

Thanking all of you for your posts.
I should have said that I spent the best part of a day swapping microfilters/ routers x3/unplugging phones. Even got a complete new extension and connected that to the router = same problem - carrier down. I have the old style faceplate without testing facilities.

If one knows how this system works it is easier to find where the problem lies. It seems to me, after reading your comments, that because the end user is not allowed to contact Open Reach directly the line provider and the ISP can take advantage. Ergo when we have a power outage I do not contact EDF but Western power - probably simplistic. Should there not be some mechanism by which the end user CAN contact Open Reach though preferably not via India!

What happens when you raise a Formal Complaint?

Newnet told me last week that they were unable to retest the line because TalkTalk had an Open Reach case on it and I spent time trying to get TT to close that case. Can someone explain what is going on for future reference?

Is the blue area on this thinkbroadband Broadband Quality Monitor portentous http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/91b879c4d87... ?

Now the good news: At about 11am Monday an Open Reach van arrived and the engineer was seen moving around to other local sites busily. 48 minutes later my ADSL router light stopped blinking erratically and I had a BB service! Almost 7 days without BB. In the countryside it is almost a necessary service.

My search for alternative providers starts here!
  Print Thread

Jump to