General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikebear
(regular) Tue 20-May-14 23:09:50
Print Post

If you think your broadband is bad...read this

[link to this post]

From an About.com newsletter http://specials.about.com/service/newsletters/compne...

"ACS Alaska bloooows

Worst Internet competition? Kenai, Alaska is bad. My neighbors get 1 mbps (120KB/s download) - they pay 80$. I have god knows what. They say its 1 mbps but its more like 56k. I download no faster than a steady 40 kb/s. I pay 60$/mo. When i called ACSALASKA (worst telecommunications company ever) to try to upgrade to 1mbps, they told me too many people have broadband and one of my neighbors would have to die for me to pick up his spot. Alaska: If you like fish and hate Internet, come on up.
—Guest aksucks"

Makes our UK services look really good....and cheap.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-May-14 23:12:46
Print Post

Re: If you think your broadband is bad...read this

[re: mikebear] [link to this post]

According to Cisco, South Korea has the best broadband service in the world, with an average download throughput of 33.5 megabits per second – nearly three times the speed of second-place Hong Kong – an average upload throughput of 17 megabits per second – more than twice that of Hong Kong, and has 100 percent broadband penetration.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 20-May-14 23:22:53
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
… and has 100 percent broadband penetration.
Hmm…
There were 18.3 million fixed broadband subscribers in South Korea at the end of Q4 2012. Growth for the quarter stood at 0.39% which was below both the average growth rate for the Asia & Oceania region and also the average global growth for the same period. Population penetration for fixed broadband in South Korea stood at 37.49%.
My bold.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(experienced) Wed 21-May-14 03:02:00
Print Post

Not sure about that

my friend was on a 400Kbps sync (yes he lived in the middle of nowhere) with bt total bb for £36? a month

thats nearly just as bad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-May-14 08:23:07
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by BatBoy:
… and has 100 percent broadband penetration.
Hmm…
There were 18.3 million fixed broadband subscribers in South Korea at the end of Q4 2012. Growth for the quarter stood at 0.39% which was below both the average growth rate for the Asia & Oceania region and also the average global growth for the same period. Population penetration for fixed broadband in South Korea stood at 37.49%.
My bold.
Yup. The UK usually ranks higher than Japan on penetration but below Japan (not by much) on per capita usage. I'm not really sure what the difference is between the two measures. Perhaps penetration is just a measure of take-up (ie;active subscriptions) whereas per capita is looking at data consumption? So we have more 'bums on seats' but the Japanese download more.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/top25.htm

But whatever stats you look at it always puts a lie to the idea that UK broadband is not fit for purpose wink

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Wed 21-May-14 08:24:17)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-May-14 08:40:20
Print Post

[re: epyon] [link to this post]

with bt total bb for £36? a month

How long ago? Is that including voice line rental? If that is just for broadband and recent then he is paying way over the odds - BT broadband hasn't been that expensive for a while. Or he could just move to another ISP - there are plenty out there.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 21-May-14 10:13:39
Print Post

Not just Alaska, there are many parts of the United States where the situation is similar. Get away from the major metro areas and VDSL is no where to be seen, ADSL of some variety may be there but often it can be slow and the Cable companies often miss small town.

As for costs - frequently higher than the UK and $60-100/month for ADSL is not uncommon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-May-14 10:22:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Even where ftth is available using federal grants the speeds are not always great

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4829574/

Max speed package of 5Mbps and not even a burst to higher speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-May-14 11:47:32
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Not just Alaska, there are many parts of the United States where the situation is similar. Get away from the major metro areas and VDSL is no where to be seen, ADSL of some variety may be there but often it can be slow and the Cable companies often miss small town.

As for costs - frequently higher than the UK and $60-100/month for ADSL is not uncommon.
Lack of competition. There was a discussion about this recently on The Register. A lot of people over there have no real choice. If they have a choice it's usually between a cable company and a DSL company with the latter often being a poor service.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Wed 21-May-14 12:16:17
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Afternoon Andrue

Back in the days of simple phone circuits, "penetration" meant the quantity of installed lines.

For the UK as a whole in 1978, Domestic Penetration was 65%.

For Scotland only, it was 55%; but for this isolated estate, it was over 90% - yet GPO Telephones wanted to install a Public Call Box, with no other likely revenue source!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to