General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User peterboynes
(newbie) Fri 30-May-14 14:51:46
Print Post

Using AOL Desktop with another ISP

[link to this post]

I have been an AOL Broadband customer for many years and am happy with my speed, reliability etc. But I have been thinking about upgrading to fibre optic broadband - which AOL do not provide. In fact, AOL seem to have recently stopped providing broadband to new customers in the UK and are directing people to their parent company, TalkTalk.

I particularly like the AOL Desktop software and have version 9.7 installed. Does anyone know if this can still be used IF I move to another ISP - say TalkTalk, Sky or BT?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-May-14 15:02:53
Print Post

Re: Using AOL Desktop with another ISP

[re: peterboynes] [link to this post]

AOL Desktop is not provided by AOL BB but by AOL (UK), http://daol.aol.com/software/aoldesktop97 . There is no reason why it shouldn't work with any ISP, but personally, I think it is an overhead that interferes between you and the Net. I believe its only real use is Parental Controls.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-May-14 15:04:04
Print Post

Re: Using AOL Desktop with another ISP

[re: peterboynes] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by peterboynes:
... In fact, AOL seem to have recently stopped providing broadband to new customers in the UK and are directing people to their parent company, TalkTalk.

Recently? It was 8 years ago that CPW bought the ISP.

In reply to a post by peterboynes:
I particularly like the AOL Desktop software and have version 9.7 installed. Does anyone know if this can still be used IF I move to another ISP - say TalkTalk, Sky or BT?

Really WHY? Whenever I have seen it, it puts another layer between you and your service and contains a lot of bloatware.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to